• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mopars from Hawaii

moparchris

Reaction score
While I was on my honeymoon,did I mention my wife was understanding, I went to Maui Raceway Park. So here are some pics of that day and some of some mopars in yards.

moparchris

Reaction score
I have pics of the other brand of fast cars. I am willing to post them if you guys want to see them.

moparchris

Reaction score
This place rocks! They race once a month and its quite entertaining to hear the stories as to how they got the cars and how they managed to make them so fast. For instance the black Duster ran low 11s and was a local car sold new on Maui. The Coronet same story but it had a 440 and ran low 13s. The Bcuda was own by a Mopar mechanic, retired, and built this car in his retirement with a stock truck 5.7l Hemi. It ran 13 ohs.

moparchris

Reaction score
Here are two from the same house on the big island. The purple one had a big block and the one under the awning is a 68.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing, those are great pics. :thumbsup: I never gave much thought that there would be much of an old car market, or even racing out there.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
moparchris said:
Here are two from the same house on the big island. The purple one had a big block and the one under the awning is a 68.

Nice pics, Chris. Do you remember in which town or area of the big island you spotted these MoPars? Mrs. ACME and I usually vacation out there every other year and I don't recall seeing them on any of our island outings - and we've canvassed the island pretty well over the last ten years.

I've never seen much muscle actually out on the street when I've been there. I was out in Honolulu a couple of years ago to see Hawaiian Airlines and saw a blown BB Nova (about a '70 model) cruising down Kalakaua Ave. on Waikiki Beach. It was red of course...and sounded wicked as hell...

:jester:

moparchris

Reaction score
The 2 Darts by the side of the road are on the main highway that leads you to the southern volcano. Its on highway 11 on the way to Kilauea national park (active volcano). We go every year, a friend of mine has a condo on the beach in Ka'anipali on Maui and we trade for work on his cars for time at the condo. Then I try to find the cheapest airfare by doing the whole name your price deal and we usually are able to do some time there for really cheap. This was the first time we went to the big Island, and its as beautiful as the others just in a different way. I am going to set up a photo bucket folder and I will dump all the pics in there for you guys to see. I have some pics from Kuaui of cars lounging. They have a dragstrip too, most if all late model though. I did find some mopars laying around. I would love to buy one out there and ship it back just for laughs.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
thanks for sharing. I've heard cars can rust pretty bad because of the salt air.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Basketcase said:
thanks for sharing. I've heard cars can rust pretty bad because of the salt air.

Yeah, most of the rust-free cars on the islands were shipped in from the Great Lakes areas. That whole "lake effect snow" thing and all of the salt used to combat it is greatly overstated... :lmao:

Sorry Dave; couldn't resist. :D Having lived in the rust belt previously I can't think of any place on earth worse for a car that is driven in winter and your comment struck me as seriously funny considering where you live. As for the salt air, Okinawa was the worst place that I ever encountered personally. Unprotected metal would flash rust in mere minutes... The Product Technical Bulletin for the "Chassis Saver" Rust Preventative Paint line produced by Magnet Paints actually lists Okinawa as the worst place in the world for this type of corrosion. I know that I couldn't wait to get my Duster out of there back in the day...

:jester:
ACME

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
I remember going with Dad once when he hauled a load of road salt. He told me that the trucks.etc that was used in the mine couldn't come above ground because of how quickly they would rust if the air hit the metal.

Back