• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

motor mounts

Big Mo

Reaction score
Rebuilt my 383 with some upgrades. I have been told it should produce 425-450 HP. Will stock mounts handle this or do I need to upgrade the mounts ?

peresvet24

Reaction score
if you upgrade the motor mount, if you do not mind! please make a few photo here and may be useful to some guys

RoadRunnerJD

Reaction score
Rebuilt my 383 with some upgrades. I have been told it should produce 425-450 HP. Will stock mounts handle this or do I need to upgrade the mounts ?
Yes, especially if you have a 4 speed or if you plan to race it with sticky tires. I would do it even on a stock motor if I was planning to run it hard. One time, I had both motor mounts break at the same time. That was scarry because my hood moved! What I have done for years ever since then is to take a stock set of mounts and carefully cut some 3/16" weld plates to fit between the top and bottom half of the stock mounts, weld them in place and paint them black. Do both sides and make sure they fit tight up against the rubber so they don't stick out. You can hardly tell they've been modified unless you inspect them pretty closely. I had a pretty radical cam and did not experience any vibrations or unusual feeling in the body from solid mounts. Good luck with it!

Last edited:

Sixtynine_Bird

Reaction score
good question, cause we heard that stock engine mounts were a bit fragile on those car. We have a 4-speed trans with 3.91 gear ratio which makes great acceleration. so like you said rrJD it must be a good idea to upgrade it with your little tricks :)
moreover, we'd like to rebuild the engine and get from that 450hp roughly. so Big Mo is it possible to know what did you change in your motor to make that kind of power? :)

mcmopar

Reaction score
I got the locking mounts from Mancini Racing. They look like stock mounts but inside the rubber isolator they have locking steel plates to keep the torque from ripping the rubber isolator apart. Reasonably priced, too.

quikbird

Reaction score
I think they are called polylocks and Schumacher, the motor mount adapter folks sell them. I think about 160 for a set.

Big Mo

Reaction score
I would tell you if I knew everything that was used. I have two friends that made the decisions what to use. One friend builds racing motors the other is a crew chief of a sprint car. I can tell you what we did use out of the engine. Heads{with lots of work]-push rods-crank[balanced & polished]-rods-intake[Alum] You can see what was replaced. Would tell you more if I could. SPECIAL NOTE- This project was done for my very special Granddaughter's senior class project. My two friends, myself and my granddaughter had so much fun. I do have lots of pics but still have not learned how to put them on this site {not very good with computers]. Hope this helps you.

Sixtynine_Bird

Reaction score
This friends are great! :p
Ok that is a nice project your grand daugther has!
Yeah it would probably help me thanks.
Hope you'll learn soon for the pics can't wait to see you car! :)

Collin

Reaction score
I bought the internal locking mounts from Classic industries after scrapping a foreign brand from auto zone. I had to grind down part of the metal bracket to get them to fit exact but it came out great. My 383 is rated at 495/495 so we wanted the upgraded mounts as well

Back