• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My old 68 Charger

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
Pic is distorted a little, grill was straight.

Sold it to a guy very near the north pool back around 2002. He paid 500 bucks to get it from KY to Detroit. Paid 1500 more to get it from the border to up near the pole. I asked him if he would get more than 3 days in August to drive it, he said actually he would get a couple of months at least. Go figure.

That was the car that taught me that a 750 Eddy was junk. Was on it when I got it, I got a tuning kit and it ran better. Until I took it to the strip. Never would take off w/o a bog, unless you boiled the hides.

I had put a Petronix kit on it. Car ran well but never trapped good MPH. I wonder if the build had some poor machine work??

Had a 68 440, 4 speed, 3.54 Dana. Had R/T blackout around the tail lights. Was factory 383 4 speed car. Pretty rare to begin with.

Unbelieveable amount of people thought it was a real R/T when I sold it. Had the VIN right in the ad, had some guy saying I was misrepresenting it. Uh, whatever buddy. :loco:

Was a pretty cool car I must say.

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
It ran about a 17.50@ 87 if you let it bog

about a 16.50 if you burned the tires. The bog was bad enough it like to of never got going, if you burned the tires off, it would at least pick up and run somewhat. That Eddy carb was crap but something was wrong with that setup overall. I really wonder what was in that engine. Looking back, I wonder if the mechanical advance was working???

It had stock manifolds, etc. No telling what was really in that engine. I drove it home an hour away from seller and found it it had ZERO trans fluid in it. Drove it around town a few days like that as well. Filled it and it never mdae the first noise, still shifted like a new trans. Go figure. :crazy:

mcmopar

Reaction score
Those Edelbrock 750 AFB's were hard to adjust the secondaries on. This was no doubt the source of your bog. The 800 Thunder AVS is a much easier carb to tune the secondaries on. A switch to a Holley 750 would have probably put you into the 14's easily. Nice looking car.

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
I think that was the deal. Was the first I had encountered that crap carb. Did run pretty good on the street.

I really want an 800 or maybe a 650 AVS for the current ride. The AVS on there now has some strange pump shot problem that new pumps haven't fixed. Runs good otherwise but you can see that every so often the pump shot is weak for a sec when bench testing it. I gave up and just live with it but a new Thunder would be sweet. I love the old Carter design.

I tried my 750 DP on this car and it would run and then act like a piece of dirt got dislodged. I never could find it so on the shelf it went. :brickwall:

mcmopar

Reaction score
Your DP's problem probably would have been solved by a new accel pump cam - or even turning the one on the carb upside down. I have an 850 DP that won't run for crap off idle but when I swapped the 750's primary side pump cam onto the 850 it ran better - not right - just better. I need to get a pump cam selection kit and start trying them out to get the carb running better off-idle. The 750 vac secondary Holley on there now runs very well except that it is rich on the idle circuit. It seems to need more air at idle but does not have adjustable air bleeds which would make the idle circuit tuning a breeze so I just have to live with it. I feel sorry for the poor people who follow me through the Old Town cruise. Its bad enough to make one's eyes water!

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
No, it wouldn't idle after awhile. Changed from being just fine backing out to dying all the sudden. Had been gone through, had good pump shot, tuned with assortment.

THe AVS has the odd pump problem. I watched it with the top off on the bench and it just won't put every so often, perfectly fine the rest of the time. Tired w/o the check ball, with it, blasted out with carb cleaner, starting fluid. Just won't go sometimes.

Must have been that way a long time to, since somebody had taken out the check ball before at some point. Had to rob one out of a parts carb.

Back