• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My Other Current Project

dobie

Reaction score
Well, this is my other project. It's a 1985 Honda Shadow VT700. 18,000 miles. It was my grandfather's last bike before he died. My grandma willed it to me after he passed. I rode it for a few years before getting into sport bikes.

Unfortunately, it's sat now for 5 years after my little racetrack "incident." I never got around to draining the gas or even disconnecting the battery. I just now got a new battery and changed the oil, filter, and plugs. All those years of sitting though have taken it's toll. She won't start mostly, and if she does fire, she runs terrible. The one time she stayed running it had a terrible throttle issue. Upon starting from a stop, I really had to feather the throttle. A few seconds later it kicked in and took off. I'm sure it's a gas issue and that the carbs are all gunked up.

After these pics were taken I got the tank and air box off. For now I'm done, until I can get with someone a tad more knowledgeable about the issues here.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
nice looing bike Steve. Never cared ofr working on bikes, but I only had mine a couple years. I got rid of mine after my "Superman" impression and catching a bird in the chest.

dobie

Reaction score
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Don't feel bad........... I caught a duck once................

:crazy:

dobie

Reaction score
Ok, so here's a question then. I have the air box off and can look into the top of the carbs. I can just barely see the butterfly's moving. Is it torn far enough down, and can I pour carb cleaner and/or seafoam into the carbs at this point?

Here's looking into the carbs.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
The only really good way to clean them is to disassemble completely. The main jets, accelerator pump, needle and seat, float, idle circuit etc. are probably gummed up from the old gas.

That said, I would try squirting some carb cleaner down the throat of the carb and maybe run some Seafoam through the gas tank first. It couldn't hurt.

Of course, I'm not a bike guy... I stick with my cars. I never fell off a car........ Well... OK... I fell off one once, but it wasn't my fault. I was drunk.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Okay, looks like it is once again time for me to get some enlightenment; what is seafoam? Never heard of it before...

It was also on this site that I became acquainted with PB Blaster... :D

Ray

dobie

Reaction score
Good advice. Thank you. I suppose I shoulda tried the seafoam stuff first, but honestly it would only start about 20-30% of time. I was hoping I'd have better access to the carbs at this point. From here on I gotta start taking cables and other stuff off, which I really don't want to do by myself. Maybe I'll try the carb cleaner now, then reassemble everything. After that I'll try the seafoam.

As for the seafoam, I really don't know. I've read about it though, and just had a good friend recommend it to me yesterday. I would imagine it's a cleaner of some sorts for carburetors, etc...

Thanks!

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
dobie said:
ACME A12 said:
with PB Blaster... :D

Anybody else call this stuff panther piss??

:jester:

It works great though for sure.

that's what it's know as down here. and I gotta ask.......a DUCK? The bird I caught hurt way more than the cow did......

dobie

Reaction score
It "winged" my arm as it attempted to fly off, so I didn't actually catch it, per se.

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
Okay, looks like it is once again time for me to get some enlightenment; what is seafoam? Never heard of it before...

Ray
Man......I'm glad you asked....I didn't want everybody to think I was a dumb a$$, thanks for covering for me...... :lmao:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
that's the foamy water that comes to the beach :haha:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Hoosier Bird said:
[quote="ACME A12":3n2omy6e]Okay, looks like it is once again time for me to get some enlightenment; what is seafoam? Never heard of it before...

Ray
Man......I'm glad you asked....I didn't want everybody to think I was a dumb a$$, thanks for covering for me...... :lmao:[/quote:3n2omy6e]
I knew what it was :leave:

John69RR

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:

Ray
I've never heard of it either. Thanks for the link.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hoosier Bird said:
[quote="ACME A12":iducbtjf]Okay, looks like it is once again time for me to get some enlightenment; what is seafoam? Never heard of it before...

Ray
Man......I'm glad you asked....I didn't want everybody to think I was a dumb a$$, thanks for covering for me...... :lmao:[/quote:iducbtjf]

..and here I was, wondering where you had been for the last few days... :huh: :loco: :lol:
As always, glad to lend a hand... :D

Sounds like great stuff. I'm going to get some and try it out. I've let my Honda XR400R sit idle in the garage for too long and have the same gummed up carb issue going on... Stay tuned...

Ray

Back