• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

need some recommendations

MuscleCar91

Reaction score
I need to get my new engine in my car one of these days and still have a few parts to order... I'm just wondering what brand / companies I should go with?
I still need a converter.. someone said have turbo action build one? How are dynamic converters? They built the tranny if that makes a difference.
I'm going to need a shorter drive shaft (switching from 904 to 727).
I also need to pick out a carb to feed the beast... 498ci. According to the carb calculators I need something around 930cfm?
Btw, This is a stock 69 satellite thats getting the engine upgrade so if there are any other things you can think I'll need please let me know. I have subframe connectors and a drive shaft loop waiting to go on other than that I don't think the car has anything else. I know the fuel pump and lines need upgraded at a minimum.

cj69RR

Reaction score
Id go with a 850 Holley for the carb. The converter all depends on the rear gear, cam., intended use and weight of the car.

abodybill

Senior Citizen Member
Reaction score
Like said above it all depends on the cam,gears,engine mods.

I contacted the comp people as I put there cam into my race car and they put me in a carb and it was so close to being right all needed was just a little tweeking. :cents:

MuscleCar91

Reaction score
cj69RR said:
Id go with a 850 Holley for the carb. The converter all depends on the rear gear, cam., intended use and weight of the car.
I'm sorry that may have helped... Rear gear is up for debate, cam is http://www.compcams.com/Company/CC/cam- ... d=710&sb=0 street/strip and weight I'm not sure, its stock steel with lift off hood. Best bets probably to contact these companies and see what they say. I just wasn't sure if someones better to do business with or has a better converter.
And I have been thinking about going with the 850 Holley, It was dyno'd with a 850 demon with a manual choke so I didn't want to run that on the street all the time.
abodybill said:
Like said above it all depends on the cam,gears,engine mods.

I contacted the comp people as I put there cam into my race car and they put me in a carb and it was so close to being right all needed was just a little tweeking. :cents:
Very nice, I will have to contact the companies and give them the info, see what they say.
sixgunrunner68 said:
What rear do you have and is it a sure grip? Suspension mods to plant those tires ?
Right now I have a 8 3/4 rear sitting in the shed with two sets of pumpkins and both are open gears. I still need to tackle that area as well... Still haven't decided on a gear but I'm guessing something around a 3.91.

earlyrides

Reaction score
You may want to consider upgrading the "WHOA!!!" pedal whenever you upgrade the "GO!!!" pedal.
Does this car have adequate brakes for the new power?

MuscleCar91

Reaction score
Good point, it has Manual drums all around lol. I'll probably have to look into a disk conversion or something for the front. Considering it has a 318 I'm guessing it has 10" but I never measured.

mcmopar

Reaction score
You'll also need new rear springs and a set of upgraded torsion bars along with a front sway bar if the car is not so equipped. Those old torsion bars aren't going to be up to the task - especially if the car only has a 318 in it now. If it is an original 383 car you'll be ready to roll. I'd also consider a new polyurethane front end kit along with new brake lines, both hard and soft, as well as a new master cylinder and cooling system upgrades.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
[quote="MuscleCar91"

Right now I have a 8 3/4 rear sitting in the shed with two sets of pumpkins and both are open gears. I still need to tackle that area as well... Still haven't decided on a gear but I'm guessing something around a 3.91.[/quote]

I've run 3.23s most of 30 years. nice for regular street use, and decent pep and good milage. I had one with 3.91s, lotta pep, not highway friendly. 55-60 cars sounds tached out.hard on the gas. my last one had 3.55s, great pep,good on the highway, and still decent milage.

4spd69RR

Reaction score
4:56 on mne and can't wait to burn some tires, I also thinking about going with a little more economy. I have another rear with 2:72's installed, however, I think I'm going to send it out to have 3:55 installed. Then just switch out the pumpkin and keep the 4:56 gears

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
I really liked my 3.55s. I drove my last car to the Nats a couple times with the 3.55s, 2 1/2 hours each way, cruised at 70 easily.

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
Either company should be fine to build you a convertor. I would be careful about getting one too big with a 500 inch mill. More torque in will raise the stall some. You should have plenty of grunt to use 3.23 gears and net the benefits of those. That will aid an 8.75 rear in the strength department due to less material being taken out of the ring gear/ fewer teeth.

850 carb should be fine unless you plan on running it to the redline all the time.

Back