• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Fan Shroud Won't Work.

amike95

Reaction score
Hey guy's, need a little help. I recently bought one of the new repo fan shrouds for my 69 with a 22" radiator. Here is the description of what I bought;

Reproduction of the 1969 B- & C-Body 22" V-8 radiator fan shroud. Original part number 2949 130. Correct for 1969 440 powered cars with 22" radiator including Chargers, R/T's, GTX's, and various C-Body models. Injection molded with all of the details of an original part.

The above shroud is the only one I've been able to find for a 69 roadrunner.
Well, when I took the radiator out and tried to fit the shroud, the offset is no where close. My car has a 70 383 engine. Is that the problem? Do I need a 70 model shroud? My car came from the factory without a shroud. Thanks,

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
The year of the engine won't make any difference. Can you post a pic of the shroud and radiator and in what direction is the offset wrong :popcorn:

amike95

Reaction score
I did buy the seperate brackets. I bought the shroud from Dante's.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
might wanna ask Stu, isn't he the site radiator expert? :acme: :acme: :acme: :jester:

6R9Runner

Reaction score
Did this get sorted out? I have a 1970 22" rad in my car and have been puzzling over which shroud might fit. Unless water pump design changed then the year of the motor should not matter.

moparchris

Reaction score
Someone will correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think a 22 inch radiator came from the factory with a shroud. Search the forum here for a similar thread that talks about this very subject

6R9Runner

Reaction score
moparchris said:
Someone will correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think a 22 inch radiator came from the factory with a shroud. Search the forum here for a similar thread that talks about this very subject
You are probably right, I'm not after the pure stock look just better cooling. It sounds like a hit-or-miss affair with these repro shrouds if you have off-year rads.

sixgunrunner68

Reaction score
Since your not going for a stock look, Mancini Racing fabricated a 22" aluminum piece for me that works great without a shroud. The car runs at 175 to 180 all day. (it creeps up to about 195 in stop and go traffic) This is in 90+ degree heat and high humidity. They will also make you a shroud if you want as well. The unit bolts right in, and the core is twice the width of the stocker. The only issue I had is the type of fan. The viscous fan is too close to the core since it's thicker, so I had no choice but to go with a direct mount fan.

solid gold

Reaction score
Maybe try talking to Glen Ray Radiators. ( Bob) I believe he might have something for you. I bought a 22 in. rad. from him last year with attached mounting brackets in case I needed a shroud.1-800-537-3775. Free call anyway.Hope this helps!

mannye

Reaction score
Since I am going to be taking pictures of my radio this weekend, I will also post pics of my reproduction 22 inch shroud which is working very very well. I THINK (it was a long time ago) I got it from Year One, but as we know, they source from all over.

There had to have been some kind of shrouds for these rads because this one looks stock and must have been made in a mold from an original piece. I said it looks stock though, cause once you touch it, you realize it's made from fiberglass!

It used the seperate brackets and was a BEAR to install. Well worth the effort though, as my RR couldn't sit in Miami traffic for more than a few minutes without overheating... now I can drive around and it stays nice and cool even with my unpressurized system!

mannye

Reaction score
22" 1969 "B" & "C" BODY FAN SHROUD
Details

AN EXCELLANT REPRODUCTION OF THE 1969 "B" & "C" BODY 22" V-8 RADIATOR FAN SHROUD. ORIGINAL PART NUMBER 2949130. CORRECT FOR 1969 440 POWERED CARS WITH 22" RADIATOR INCLUDING CHARGERS, R/T'S, GTX'S, AND VARIOUS "C" BODY MODELS. INJECTION MOLDED WITH ALL THE DETAILS OF AN ORIGINAL PART........#130 **THESE SHROUDS FIT ONLY THE YEARS/MODELS SPECIFIED. WILL NOT FIT AFTERMARKET RADIATORS. PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE ORIGINAL YEAR RADIATOR FOR YOUR CAR BEFORE ORDERING**

This is from Herb's Parts. According to them, 22" rad did indeed have a shroud. There's the part number. It's just that 383 engines didn't come with one. I took pictures of my install last night and will post tonight.

6R9Runner

Reaction score
Those rad shroud descriptions pop up under several sources on the internet and ebay and they sound convincing. Its bizarre how any year Chrysler 22" rad from 1968 through 1970 will not necessarily center the same with respect to the fan/engine (i.e. to accommodate any shroud that would have mounted to a 383 or 440 car). After all, the rad supports look the same for all B-bodies through 1968-70. The 1970 22" rad in my car is centered, and the fan is shifted 2" towards the passenger side. Has anyone seen different in a 383 car?

droptop

Reaction score
6R9Runner said:
Those rad shroud descriptions pop up under several sources on the internet and ebay and they sound convincing. Its bizarre how any year Chrysler 22" rad from 1968 through 1970 will not necessarily center the same with respect to the fan/engine (i.e. to accommodate any shroud that would have mounted to a 383 or 440 car). After all, the rad supports look the same for all B-bodies through 1968-70. The 1970 22" rad in my car is centered, and the fan is shifted 2" towards the passenger side. Has anyone seen different in a 383 car?

The engine is about 2" to the right. This is to give room for the steering box.

6R9Runner

Reaction score
mannye said:
It used the seperate brackets and was a BEAR to install. Well worth the effort though...
The captive nuts are definitely tricky to install. But luck was on my side- there is an interesting combination of 1970 22" rad and 1978 fan shroud that fits together perfectly, like they were meant to go together. The shroud was very cheap due to the vintage and obscure part number.

Back