• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Noob from Pittsburgh area

sskillett

Reaction score
Hello all. I'm a friend of 62BT409 and doing some work on his RR. Figured I'd join to see what's going on in here.

Even though I have a few GM rides, I'm a closet Mopar guy and love the Road Runner/GTX/Satellite/Belvedere Line. Also love '68-70 Chargers. I owned a '69 Charger many years ago. Wish I still had it. Was a 383 car - red with a black vynil top.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
welcome sorta neighbor. I'm north of Steubenville,Ohio. My Mom & Dad lived in Greensburgh a few years ago, before moving back to Beaver Falls. wouldn't mind seeing more pics of the GTO.

sskillett

Reaction score
Basketcase said:
welcome sorta neighbor. I'm north of Steubenville,Ohio. My Mom & Dad lived in Greensburgh a few years ago, before moving back to Beaver Falls. wouldn't mind seeing more pics of the GTO.

Been out your way many times. Last time I was out there was at Steel Valley Drag Way. A group of us rented the track for an afternoon. We had a blast, but it was like 90 degrees. I'm guessing that isn't too far from you?

Here are a few pics of the GTO, but there are many more on my website: http://www.akvalley.net/~ss

66GTO_05092009LF.jpg

66GTO_05092009L.jpg

66GTO_05092009R.jpg

GTO_engine_09142008.jpg

GTO_interior_09142008.jpg

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
:drool: tri power 4 gear..... :drool: 389?
Steel Valley is...about 30-40 minutes from me. never been there. 21 turn one weekend off a month doesn't lend itself to much fun time.

sskillett

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Yes it is a completely stock 389 for now. PHS documented Tri Power, 4 speed, 3.55 car. Original trans (with VIN) and rear end is in car. Motor is a date code correct 389, but not a proper 3x2 block. It runs OK, but not great. I guess I am just used to waaay more power in my truck (505 dynoed hp, 398 wheel hp), and a 6 speed OD trans. The truck is much more fun to drive, but the GTO is much cooler to look at.

Planning a 447 stroker build for the GTO with E heads, mild hydraulic cam, & forged bottom end (using a close to date coded correct 3x2 389 block that I currently have). Will keep the trips (even though they may hurt performance). Planning a stealthy look - all components will be painted as it looks now - E heads and all. It is an A/C car as well so the compressor will cover most of the pass side head. Some guys on the Pontiac forums have developed a ceramic casting/bonding process to put OEM markings on the aluminum heads. I'd like to do at least the casting numbers to look stock.

Just trying to save up some greenbacks right now to do it. I'm at the parts obtaining process now.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
I'd probably have a Javelin, or a Rebel Machine. But when I was in high school, a guy in town had a cranberry colored '66 GTO(with Cragars, so that might explain that ), car sat on the street, but disappered in the winter. car was always spottless, but I never saw it on the road. then one day it vanished.that GTO was awsome.

Back