• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Not Charging

dobie

Reaction score
So earlier in the week I decided to try something. I tried LED lights in the dash. When I got them all put in I tried them out and they looked great. Problem is, when I started it, I noticed the car wasn't charging. On a whim, I replaced all lights with the stock bulbs. Started it back up, and everything was working again. Weird.

So today, being 60deg out, I wanted to drive her. I started her up, and no charge. I already changed the voltage regulator, so I doubt that's the problem. I've checked the wiring in the dash, and I don't think I pulled anything by accident.

Time to pull and replace the alternator?

Roadcuda

Reaction score
dobie said:
So earlier in the week I decided to try something. I tried LED lights in the dash. When I got them all put in I tried them out and they looked great. Problem is, when I started it, I noticed the car wasn't charging. On a whim, I replaced all lights with the stock bulbs. Started it back up, and everything was working again. Weird.

So today, being 60deg out, I wanted to drive her. I started her up, and no charge. I already changed the voltage regulator, so I doubt that's the problem. I've checked the wiring in the dash, and I don't think I pulled anything by accident.

Time to pull and replace the alternator?
Did you check the voltage at the battery? It should be around 14 volts. There is a way to check it directly off the alternator, but I forget how to do that.

dobie

Reaction score
Yup, 14 volts at the battery. I just started her up again, and she showed charge. Sounds like a wiring issue now. Both the amp gauge and my volt gauge show the same thing, either no charge or charge.

If its not charging, will it still show 14v at the battery?

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
dobie said:
Yup, 14 volts at the battery. I just started her up again, and she showed charge. Sounds like a wiring issue now. Both the amp gauge and my volt gauge show the same thing, either no charge or charge.

If its not charging, will it still show 14v at the battery?
It sounds as if your battery is fully charged and the regulator is doing what its supposed to do, not over charge it. It should drop to an almost zero amps with nothing on and fully charged then turn on the headlights and it is should charge but with these old systems it may show a negative you may have to rev a little over idle to get that positive thing going, thus the slow turn signals and dim headlights at idle. After starting the car it should charge to recoup from what the starter pulled off the battery and go near zero until more is needed do to ignithon drain accessories are turned on. I found a real nice old contact type regulator and restored it and you can see the contact open and close on the guage its like an on off switch where as the electronic ones are smoother. Hope I didn't muddy things up for ya.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
and just because a part is new doesn't mean it's good. went through a lot of new parts at the IH dealer to find good ones sometimes.

dobie

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. It was definitely not charging earlier. With the car running at 3,000 rpm's the amp needle was clearly in the discharge portion. Also, the volt meter was right around 10 volts. Later that night when I started her again , she clearly showed charge, both at idle and while up around 3000 rpm's.

Trust me, she definitely wasn't charging last yesterday, and a couple of days before right after I put in the LED bulbs.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Never mind :basketcase: John where are you getting your feed for the volt meter? Because both meters showed a problem and depending on your source could eliminate wiring issues.

A31PKG

Reaction score
dobie said:
....If its not charging, will it still show 14v at the battery?

No. If your volts and amps both showed low or discharge, then you are correct in assuming that the system is/was not charging. Correct charging voltage with no loads should be between 13.5 to around 14.5 volts. It sounds like something is loose somewhere based on your description of the problem. Maybe you knocked something loose when you put in the LED's? I'm sure you've done it, but be sure to check all connections to be sure they are clean & tight.

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
check all your grounds....make sure you have clean tight connections and take a peek at your amp gauge.....mine toasted.....just by passed it......

dobie

Reaction score
Thanks again guys. I'll have to see how my volt meter is wired. It's been so long I honestly forget.

4spd69RR

Reaction score
Just following the posts on this issue. If all seems to be connected and tight you may have an intermittent diode in your alternater. I just had to replace an alternator on my wife Ford Excursion because of this issue.

Back