• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Now the transmission if having problems with reverse

nicanor

Reaction score
I drove the car locally to find a place to rebuild the engine and putting the car in reverse was near impossible. Gears 1-4 were easy but reverse, was terrible.

Since the trans was out, I took it to a standard trans shop and they will fix the reverse for $150 plus parts. I was there when he took the reverse linkage off and tried turning the cam by hand with a wrench and it was still near impossible. So I'll get the trans fixed while I'm waiting for the machine shop to tear down and rebuild the engine. Cam is not here yet, so tomorrow when the cam comes in, we'll take the engine to the machine shop.

Since I had the radiator out, I took it to the radiator shop to take off the tank check the tubes and fix any leaks. Good thing I did. The lines/tubes in the radiator was partially clogged and there were several small leaks. Now its all fixed and being painted. All this was suppose to be done. When I seen the water that came out of the radiator, I knew I had to have the interior of the radiator inspected.

This is not a good journey :huh: and I guess I'll start :cheers: because it seems like I'm beating. :brickwall: But I'm sure it will be worth it at the end. :banana: :beep:

I know, :blah: :blah: :blah:

abodybill

Senior Citizen Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear more problems but,looks like you are now FULLY in the club :yesnod:

Most of us can say we been there or are going thru it now. :lol:

You are correct when you get it done it will be a fine looking car and a work of art.

Just keep doing it the way you are and it will be done one time the right way! :banana:

peresvet24

Reaction score
abodybill said:
Sorry to hear more problems but,looks like you are now FULLY in the club :yesnod:

You are correct when you get it done it will be a fine looking car and a work of art.

Just keep doing it the way you are and it will be done one time the right way! :banana:

well said :thumbsup:

Roadcuda

Reaction score
You are not alone. When I bought my car I thought that I wouldn't have to do too much to it. Well I was wrong. While the car has never let me down, never stranded me anywhere, I have had to have some mechanical things done to it. The most recent was trying to resolve the over heating in traffic problem some of you may remember I've talked about, I had the block flushed out, and trying to find out why my gas mileage sucked as bad as it did. The last tank full I got 90 miles out of 12.5 gallons! :brickwall: And that was mostly highway driving and keeping my foot out of it. It was found to be running rich, so he changed the jets from 95 to 92, and metering rods from 59/62 to 59/72. I just hope that my problems are solved. So like you I found that no matter how good the car's condition appears to be in, you are unfortunately going to find things that have to be done! And finding them now while you are rebuilding the car will make it that much better once you do get it done.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Yep. Got my car all done with new syncro rings and didn't notice a small amount of wear on 2nd gear so it didn't like the new syncro. So out it came new gear. :brickwall:

John69RR

Reaction score
peresvet24 said:
abodybill said:

well said :thumbsup:

X3

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I hope your not driving with the cam lobe and lifter grinding away, your adding wear and scratching to the block, crank and other internals if you are :popcorn:

nicanor

Reaction score
No, I took the engine out last week. I knew about the reverse when I drove it to the shop and then back home again after we found the problem. We aren't pulling the engine down until we get all the parts in hand from Hughes. Hughes had the cam and associated parts in hand. So we should have them today. I thought they had the Holley in stock when I ordered it from Hughes. Come to find out, they had Holley ship it to them and then Hughes shipped it to me which means I won't get the carb till Monday. Why didn't they have Holley ship it to me or at least tell me that it would be at least a week to get the carb.

But back to the trans. Since I seen the engine sitting there on the ground with trans attached and the standard trans shop across the street, I took the trans to them to fix the trans (that was suppose to be rebuilt just like the engine 200 miles ago). They called me and said the reverse shaft was too long and whoever rebuilt the trans must have used the wrong reverse shaft. So all they have to do is grind down the shaft a little to give it the clearance it needs and I'll be good to go. I'll see this afternoon. Gears 1-4 was fine.

Radiator was about 30 percent clogged and had a couple of small leaks. So they repaired the radiator and its ready to install.

There goes my paint money for the year. :nopity:

I'll do it for you.

Thanks for the help,
Barry

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
At least you didn't have to buy any shafts or gears, they get pricey :yesnod: I must have misunderstood your earlier post, it sounded as if you were driving it :huh:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
see, the seller didn't totally mislead you. the trans was rebuilt.....even if it wasn't done right. But at least when you're done, you'll know for sure it's done, and done right. beena bumby road for most of us.
and my paint $ turned into a '72 VW. but it was worth it. :leg:

nicanor

Reaction score
Trans is fixed, radiator has been repaired and the parts to rebuild the engine came in today from Hughes minus the carb. If we get done with the engine before the carb comes it, I'll break the engine in with the 650 Demon.

Thanks for the help,
Barry

jays69bird

Reaction score
I think all of us have been through what you facing now Barry,hell I had a 72 Charger with a 400 supposedly rebuilt .The car ended up spinning a rod bearing I took it down,it had 7 flat pistons and one smog era dished piston!

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
My very first RR had a "rebuilt" 383 sitting in the car. Got things right and ready to run, car would never time right.

The "rebuild" apparently didn't include anything other than being pulled and painted. Guess the OEM nylon chain was OK when it "was replaced" during the rebuild, but died while sitting in the engine bay waiting.

Good thing I bought it for a price that didn't matter.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
SomeCarGuy said:
My very first RR had a "rebuilt" 383 sitting in the car. Got things right and ready to run, car would never time right.

The "rebuild" apparently didn't include anything other than being pulled and painted. Guess the OEM nylon chain was OK when it "was replaced" during the rebuild, but died while sitting in the engine bay waiting.

Good thing I bought it for a price that didn't matter.
Rebuilt to original standards :jester:

Back