• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Oil Pan

abodybill

Senior Citizen Member
Reaction score
I finaly got to take the oil pan off the engine that dropped alittle earlyier in the year from the cherry picker.

Anyway I really lucked out as all the damage was just to the pan crunched where the drain plug is and didn't even touch the pickup or windage tray. :banana: :thumbsup: :D

I have new windage tray and and gaskets what I want to know is do you use any RTV on the gaskets?

Looks like I did 9 year ago just want to know if use it or something else?

Maybe nothing?

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I use a little high tack on one side just so the gasket doesn't move around with a little RTV in the corners. But that just me

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
I use a little high tack on one side just so the gasket doesn't move around with a little RTV in the corners. But that just me
same here.....its just the gasket or in place of it ....rtv

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
when I worked at the IH dealer, one of the mechs that rebuilt engines used weatherstrip glue. He said it's a bitch to get off, but it never leaks.

abodybill

Senior Citizen Member
Reaction score
Basketcase said:
when I worked at the IH dealer, one of the mechs that rebuilt engines used weatherstrip glue. He said it's a bitch to get off, but it never leaks.

Dave,

Which one?

the green or black?

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
abodybill said:
Basketcase said:

Dave,

Which one?

the green or black?

Probably the 3m yellow "gorilla snot". I've used that in cars that I never expect to take apart again.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
If you use weather strip adhesive on both sides chances are you will bend the pan if you ever need to take it off

abodybill

Senior Citizen Member
Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
If you use weather strip adhesive on both sides chances are you will bend the pan if you ever need to take it off

I asked because I thought it was the stuff Big John had used and I know how that stuff works :lol:

I plan on using the spray high tack I got in the shop on only one side of each gasket and alittle RTV as told. :thumbsup:

Back