• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original Trunk Seal Pics

A31PKG

Reaction score
Anyone have a pic of an original trunk seal/weather strip? Car's back from paint and the original is long gone, so I have nothing to compare the new one to, but this one looks different from what I recall the original one looking like....Thanks guys, hope everyone had a safe holiday!

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Mine is original I'm sure. I don't have a pic ready to go, but if no one has one that they can post for you quickly then I can truck out to the garage and take a couple for you.

A31PKG

Reaction score
I believe after it's compressed (even the manufacturer says this) it takes on a more compliant shape.... I also think that I simply installed it incorrectly. I went to see a friend's '68 and it looks like the seal should be installed with the outer edge flush with the verticle (inner) wall of the trough. This creates about a 1/8" inward overhang over the trunk lip. I installed it the other way with the inner edge flush with the lip. This prevented proper compression and thus the issue I was having - the trunk lid would not shut. Hopefully this will help other members should they ever replace their trunk seal.

A31PKG

Reaction score
If someone wants to, that would be cool....It would hopefully confirm the placement. I installed another seal today using the aforementioned criteria, and the trunk shuts better, but still not perfect. I may have to trim the seal slightly... most likely at the rear corners. My main concern was weather or not the shape of the seal was correct. It has now morphed into how it's installed... Any input or pics would be helpful.... I'll definitely be paying attention at Carlisle this year!

A31PKG

Reaction score
Thanks HemiBeep... That's how mine used to look... a buddy of mine suggested a place called Dixie Restorations... apparently they are the $hit when it comes to weatherstrip... I talked with Randy (email actually) at D.R. and he confirmed that his seal is much closer to the original shape (thinner) as well as more compliant... I'm placing an order and I'll let everyone know the outcome... If this seal is a go, I'll be buying the rest of the weatherstrip from them as well....

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
A31PKG said:
Thanks HemiBeep... That's how mine used to look... a buddy of mine suggested a place called Dixie Restorations... apparently they are the $hit when it comes to weatherstrip... I talked with Randy (email actually) at D.R. and he confirmed that his seal is much closer to the original shape (thinner) as well as more compliant... I'm placing an order and I'll let everyone know the outcome... If this seal is a go, I'll be buying the rest of the weatherstrip from them as well....
I think they tend to crush after time, my deck lid was pushed up slightly after it was restored but it fits fine now

V269

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
A31PKG said:
I think they tend to crush after time, my deck lid was pushed up slightly after it was restored but it fits fine now

X2 :thumbsup:

A31PKG

Reaction score
I installed the trunk seal from Dixie Restorations and what a difference! By far a better fitting product. The seal appears identical to the original, and the trunk shuts perfectly. The rubber is much more compliant - easier to compress or squeeze. As you can see from these comparison shots, the Dixie part is a bit smaller and fits so much better. Just thought I'd follow up ..........Two thumbs up!

BTW, Dixie Restorations is a MOPAR parts vendor that carries lots of stuff...I priced a few more things that I'm going to need and found them to be very competitive, and in many cases lower, than vendors I've used in the past...Nice folks to deal with too.... They're in Georgia, here's the site:

http://www.dixierestorationparts.com

A31PKG

Reaction score
I should clarify that the larger sample on the left is the ill-fitting Metro piece purchased through YearOne. The one on the right is the one from Dixie. Not sure who makes their seals, but they indicated that they are specially made for them. It was 15 bucks plus shipping...well worth it. I wish I would have known about them earlier. Ever tried to remove 15 feet of gooey weatherstrip - twice? My fingers still hurt....

Back