• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Paint crack

BL1 70 roadrunner

Reaction score
Hey guys, I noticed that there was a crack in my paint job. The car was freshly painted within the summer and unfortunately it's right on the hood so everyone can see it:brickwall:
I don't how this formed I noticed that the hood flexes a lot when we go over bumps with it could this be why it cracked? It flexed and popped in a weak spot? Another weird thing is that it looks like its opening and closing. Sometimes you can put the tip of your fingernail in it and sometimes you can't. I'm think of putting some clear nail polish in it so that moisture doesn't get in and rusts. Would this be a good idea? Thanks for the help!
image.jpg
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

BL1 70 roadrunner

Reaction score
I would but unfortunately the mans in Michigan. I bought the car last week in Michigan check over the paint everywhere on the body and it was good came home to minnestoa and found it.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
It's probably not the paint that has cracked. I'll bet it's either some filler or "high build" primer under the paint that has cracked.

The only fix is to have the hood stripped and redone.

Hopefully this is a fluke and confined to this area..... Hopefully...

BL1 70 roadrunner

Reaction score
I tapped all around the hood and it sounded the same I didn't hear a difference in the sound. The only bondo I could hear in tapping was around the the right rear wheel well. Could it be the amount of clear coat he sprayed on? He said he put 6 coats on.

bobbyb

Reaction score
Also, I wouldn't use the fingernail polish on it, because it might react with the paint and you'll have a bigger problem.

Kevin60brd

Reaction score
Is it an air grabber hood car by any chance? If it is, have you checked the driver's side motor mount to make sure it is not broken and the engine is pushing up on the hood?

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Make sure the sheet metal is still glued to the supporting metal underneath to keep it from bouncing and stretching the metal also. It does dry up and come loose.

Back