• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Paint or Dye for interior pieces

RdChicken

Reaction score
Paint or Dye? I have a green middle dash pad that goes around steering column and ash tray. I need it to be black, I heard that the paint has gotten a lot better and is the easy way to go. What do you guys recommend?

Thanks

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm interested in this too - as blue a-pillar trim in pristine condition just isn't falling from the sky these days...

:jester:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
I used spray paint to make red seats black in one of my trucks. lasted a long time before i had to touch up the drivers seat.

mcmopar

Reaction score
I had my headrests reshot at NotJustHeadrests.com. I don't know what he used but they turned out great. If I can ever scrape up the cash I'm going to have my upper and lower dash pads done. I can send him an interior A-pillar cover to use as a match. I believe he shoots a dye but I'm not sure.

CWR

Reaction score
My interior is tan............looking for the same thing in paint/dye. I believe year one has some vinyl/plastic paints. As I have to change my instrument panel bezel I want to redo the vinyl at the same[

John69RR

Reaction score
Chris, I'm going to spray my dash and kick panels with SEM also. What black did you use, Satin, gloss etc...? The guy at the paint store yold me to wash everything in Dawn dishwashing soap. He told me it was the best for cutting grease. Comments?

Plymouthfan

Reaction score
John69RR said:
Chris, I'm going to spray my dash and kick panels with SEM also. What black did you use, Satin, gloss etc...? The guy at the paint store yold me to wash everything in Dawn dishwashing soap. He told me it was the best for cutting grease. Comments?
I believe I used SEM's Landau Black, it's not too glossy, not too flat. I love it!

They also sell a spray "vinyl prep" which I used, but not sure is needed. Use the Dawn, but MAKE SURE you get all the soapy residue off, wipe it down with alcohol or something. SEM covers nicely... easy to use.

Back