• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Passon Performance 5 Speed and Update

JJRJR

Reaction score
Guys, my project is about 50% done, so will start to need to make some final drive train decisions pretty soon. Sent back original rockers we bought, didn't feel very strong. Ended up going with Hughes Engine's product; heard lots of good. Sent back the deep Milidon pan (7QT) for a smaller (6QT) Milidon product. The project, all in all, is going well.

I'm hearing some VERY good reports on the Passon Performance 5 speed. Sounds like it's stronger than the Hemi box 18 spline with a 5th gear that bolts right in with shifter in same place, etc. Yes, prices is high at nearly $5K I believe. But, in my opinion, that upgrade changes the car in a major way.

That said, I already spent $1,100 rebuilding the original 1969 23 spline A-833. I'm told it was brought back to new condition. A couple of questions:

1) What can I reasonably expect to sell my rebuilt A-833 for assuming I get the 5 speed?

2) What are your thoughts on the Passon solution vs. say the Gear Vendor Overdrive upgrade?

As always guys, thanks for the advice. John.

P.S. Got the wall knocked down in the garage (used to be a T.V. room) to make room for the "soon to be" Road Runner Man Cave. LOL>

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
JJRJR said:
Guys, my project is about 50% done, so will start to need to make some final drive train decisions pretty soon. Sent back original rockers we bought, didn't feel very strong. Ended up going with Hughes Engine's product; heard lots of good. Sent back the deep Milidon pan (7QT) for a smaller (6QT) Milidon product. The project, all in all, is going well.

I'm hearing some VERY good reports on the Passon Performance 5 speed. Sounds like it's stronger than the Hemi box 18 spline with a 5th gear that bolts right in with shifter in same place, etc. Yes, prices is high at nearly $5K I believe. But, in my opinion, that upgrade changes the car in a major way.

That said, I already spent $1,100 rebuilding the original 1969 23 spline A-833. I'm told it was brought back to new condition. A couple of questions:

1) What can I reasonably expect to sell my rebuilt A-833 for assuming I get the 5 speed?

2) What are your thoughts on the Passon solution vs. say the Gear Vendor Overdrive upgrade?

As always guys, thanks for the advice. John.

P.S. Got the wall knocked down in the garage (used to be a T.V. room) to make room for the "soon to be" Road Runner Man Cave. LOL>
I like the Passon idea, no cutting at all there is nothing like a bolt in and Jammie stands behind his stuff! Is he done testing and selling them yet?

JJRJR

Reaction score
Hey Bob, hope you had a Merry Christmas. I just got an email from Jamie and the A-855 will be ready for sale in about 4 months for the Runner B Body.

If it owns up to what it's supposed to do, this will be a Mopar Guy's best friend. Run 4.10's or better and have good highway cruise RPM with a bolt-in solution. Can't wait.

Best,

John

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
JJRJR said:
Hey Bob, hope you had a Merry Christmas. I just got an email from Jamie and the A-855 will be ready for sale in about 4 months for the Runner B Body.

If it owns up to what it's supposed to do, this will be a Mopar Guy's best friend. Run 4.10's or better and have good highway cruise RPM with a bolt-in solution. Can't wait.

Best,

John
Good to hear I'm still considering one for my a body. We did have a good Christmas, we were in LA visiting my daughter and stayed at the Millenium Biltmore downtown. It's a beautiful old hotel that hosted the Oscars awards in the late 20s into the 30s.

sixgunrunner68

Reaction score
Wow.....5gs. That is pretty steep. Looks like I'll be waitin' a while for that. As said though, Jamie is a good guy and he's good at what he does. He did my trans.
I must say though when I dropped it off and saw his shop I was a bit surprised. It was his parents two car garage. I thought I took a wrong turn because the gps said I arrived and all I saw was a raised ranch. :huh: He was supposed to be moving the business to a bigger facility but I don't know if it ever happened.

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
Going to be hard to recoup that money. Impossible to replace a numbers trans later.

I saw his price is 4300 in his thread on 'parts.

I wouldn't fool with it unless you plan on driving cross country a lot. It's a luxury item. 3 grand or so buys a lot of gas and you wold be had pressed to wear out a good rebuild on your engine using an OEM trans.

moparchris

Reaction score
SomeCarGuy said:
Going to be hard to recoup that money. Impossible to replace a numbers trans later.

I wouldn't fool with it unless you plan on driving cross country a lot. It's a luxury item. 3 grand or so buys a lot of gas and you wold be had pressed to wear out a good rebuild on your engine using an OEM trans.

I agree 100% (although the Passon 5 speed is a killer piece). Overdrives are for :gay: just like girliematics. There I said it. I feel better now.

sixgunrunner68

Reaction score
moparchris said:
SomeCarGuy said:

I agree 100% (although the Passon 5 speed is a killer piece). Overdrives are for :gay: just like girliematics. There I said it. I feel better now.
:lmao: funny, but I still want one.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
sixgunrunner68 said:
moparchris said:
Overdrives are for :gay: just like girliematics. There I said it. I feel better now.
:lmao: funny, but I still want one.

He's just being pissy because he can't bolt one on his current ride... :basketcase:

Chris\'%20Super%20Bee.jpg

Roadcuda

Reaction score
[quote="] Overdrives are for :gay: just like girliematics. There I said it. I feel better now.[/quote]
:lmao: funny, but I still want one.[/quote]

He's just being pissy because he can't bolt one on his current ride... :basketcase:[/quote]
Why is the camel smiling :popcorn:[/quote]
I don't think I want to know!!!! :lol:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
Jamie ls tops :thumbsup: talk to him about buylng yours. l traded hlm three cores when l got my reman 4 gear for my other car plus $200. then after the flre he bought lt back.

Back