• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PILOT BEARING ISSUES..

rkb2

Reaction score
Hi guys,
Anyone know where I can get the smaller pilot bushing for my 383?
Apparently I have a crank that was in an automatic car and the bushing that came with my clutch kit is too big. I also read something about a pilot bearing that doesn't go into the crank but into the harmonic balancer depression and rides farther down the nose of the tranny. Anyone try that out if so what vehicle do I need to tell the dealer I need the bearing from? Thanks Ron :lock:

mcmopar

Reaction score
My buddy Jim found one of those for me because I was having the same issue. Its a roller bearing pilot bearing and its sweet. I'll try to find out where to find it.

jays69bird

Reaction score
Year one has a pilot bushing for automatic to manual conversions Part# MOP574C,probably Brewers would have one as well.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Depending on where you got your clutch kit there are two different bearings that I know of. One is the standard small one that goes way back into the crank and the other is usually used as a fix for messed up input shafts goes into the outer hole where the torque converter nose would fit. I know Brewers has access to the latter. Both will work and then there is a needle bearing one to boot.

rkb2

Reaction score
Yeah I saw the Year one part but I went to buy it and they said could be as far as 4 weeks out. Trying to find something a little sooner. That's when I read about the bearing issue supposed to be stock in a 90 something ram truck. But the post was talking about a 318 or 340 and not a big block so I didn't know if it would work. The O.D. is about .915 I think on the one I need and .940 on the cranks out of the 4 speed engines

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
Brewer's is the place to call. Jamie wouldn't be bad either.

Not all the cranks got the finish drilling needed to run a 4 gear. I had to put a roller pilot in my 383, it only had the rough drilling.

rkb2

Reaction score
Thanks, I had never heard of Brewers. Went to the site and got the bigger roller bearing style ordered along with a couple of other items. Hopefully can get a drivetrain in my bird pretty soon. Thanks Again, Ron :lock:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
jays69bird said:
Yeah Year one told me that on a part once so I ordered it,took a year to get it,I don't think the phone operator appreciated my take offs of the Year One name on that whole deal,try Brewers http://www.brewersperformance.com anotherplace I haven't dealt with but the deal in 4 spd. is Passon's http://www.passonperformance.com

I've delt with Jamie Passon. Great guy. Buy with confidence :thumbsup:

Back