• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Plan B Restoration: Take 1

chapdog105

Reaction score
After sitting around for 5 months depressed about the way on was boned on my Roadrunner vert restoration, I've decided to take some action.
I loaded up my Roadrunner and took it to a new body shop today for an estimate.
The shop is run by two Ford retirees (save the jokes :rimshot: ). I heard about them from another 69 RR vert owner that has had a couple of his cars done there. I'm very impressed by their work and their passion for restoring cars.
They have a TON of experience with 68-70 B bodies. One of the 69 Roadrunner convertibles they did body and paint on was featured in the August 2006 issue of Mopar Action (if you have it, check it out!).

Their rates are very reasonable, and they can get my convertible into their shop in about 3 months! I can't wait to have my car done the right way!

My vert will go back to sandblast to get it back to bare metal. They are going to correct everything on the car! Get rid of all that fiberglass and braze, and straighten everything thing out the way it should be. Then they're going to spray it base/clear in a booth. No more shade tree body and paint for me, I've learned my lesson.

And, they don't charge a penny until your car is done, and you're 100% satisfied! You can stop in anytime, and even help with your car if you'd like. These are my kid of fellas! My last body man had me bring him bolts and cash weekly. Should've known better...

If you don't remember, my car is a mess! The body gaps are uneven, quarter panels are hung crooked, deck-lid and hood are wavy, single piece trunk pan was cut in half for installation, floor pans were stacked and brazed over the old ones, paint has dust and runs everywhere, and underbody looks like swiss cheese covered in spray can undercoating.

This is what I got back after the first body man "restored" my vert...

IMG_20110424_224643.jpg

IMG_20110424_223354.jpg

IMG_20110424_223256.jpg

IMG_20110424_211514.jpg

IMG_20110424_211527.jpg

IMG_20110424_211319.jpg

IMG_20110424_211153.jpg

IMG_20110421_202830.jpg

IMG_20110421_201047.jpg

moparchris

Reaction score
Man you must clank when you walk. And I complain about getting screwed on my Superbird. You are an inspiration for me to get off my butt and get it done. Ford guys can be like Corvette guys METICULOUS. As a matter of fact one of the best guys who does paint and restoration here in Orange County is a Ford guy. Your Road Runner deserves a good proper resto and I wish you the best.

moparstuart

Reaction score
moparchris said:
Man you must clank when you walk. And I complain about getting screwed on my Superbird. You are an inspiration for me to get off my butt and get it done. Ford guys can be like Corvette guys METICULOUS. As a matter of fact one of the best guys who does paint and restoration here in Orange County is a Ford guy. Your Road Runner deserves a good proper resto and I wish you the best.
yeah get off your rear :jester:

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
Just put it behind you as a lesson learned. :yesnod:

X2. And while it really sucks - you can take solice in knowing that you'll never allow yourself to be put through that again...

Onward Brave Dogs!!! (taken from a funny lotto commercial down here - just FYI)

:jester:

Roadcuda

Reaction score
That's a tough one to swallow, but it sounds like your car is in good hands now. It's too bad you can't go after the guy who screwed it up on you for some kind of refund.

dobie

Reaction score
Glad its going back in! Im taking my RR to a shop on March 5th, and im already starting to get worried. They come recommended, but ya never know I guess.

chapdog105

Reaction score
I'm feeling good about these guys.
The 69 Coronet that's going there this week is also a convertible. They said I can see what it looks like when it gets there, and come back when it's done to see what kind of work they do. Can't beat that!

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
dobie said:
Glad its going back in! Im taking my RR to a shop on March 5th, and im already starting to get worried. They come recommended, but ya never know I guess.

Steve just stop by often while your ln your work clothes...... :lock:
man l dread starting on mine......
good luck guys!

Steve

Reaction score
It's good to see you still have enthusiasm for the car chapdog after your first "resto" experience.Hope everything is done right this time and you get the car back to your satisfaction.Best of luck to you :thumbsup:

A31PKG

Reaction score
I know from reading your posts how passionate you are about this car...I hope that you finally get it where you want it!

I sold my RUST FREE one-owner 'vert in '04... I wish I would have sold it to you!

:thumbsup:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
thats why l let my '6 Charger go. l redld lt when l flrst got ltthen later l got new 1/4 skins trunk floor rear valance had had a "buddy" do lt. fell apart pretty qulck. had another buddy go over lt and made lt pretty nlce but the love was gone.

Back