• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Please help...I almost have this electrical thing licked.

Rocket

Reaction score
This has been a PITA since I am not the greatest electrical guy. I appreciate the input of people that are brighter than I.

I had an issue with my turn signals and brake lights working properly. I have a brand new year one wiring harness for the rear of the car and engine compartment. I narrowed it down to the turn signal switch. I tried a new unit but it was narrower than the original equipment. I went back to the original and now:
- both rear signals work
-both running lights work
-only the left side brake light works.

What am I missing on getting the right side brake light to work?

Should I just get this and be done with it?
https://www.yearone.com/Product/1966-74-a-b-e-body/fd47801

Last edited:

1967 'cuda

Reaction score
I agree with Big John. I've bought several old cars in the past few years and they each seemed to have wiring issues. Often the problems would present themselves similarly to the way yours is behaving. Over half of the time I found that the biggest contributing factor was bad grounding. In some cases I ran an extra ground wire to the tail light bulb sockets. I couldn't quite wrap my brain around why an insufficient ground in one spot of the lighting circuit could affect the behavior of the rest of the lights, but it did.

4spd69RR

Reaction score
Ditto what Big John mentioned, you might also check to make sure you bulb is making good connection in the socket. You could have some corrosion on the contacts as well.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
double check the turn switch. The only time I only had the one brake light, it was the switch. I could move the lever and get one side or the other, or both brake lights.

Rocket

Reaction score
Replaced the turn signal switch assembly and it works!!! Thanks!

Reaction score
Is there anyway you took pictures of your turn signal plug wiring? I have a weird issue. My dome light stays on constantly. The jamb switches are not even installed, the Yearone dash harness is in but I had to improvise the plug to the turn sig switch. I have an orange wire left over.....hum? The thing is all of my headlights and turn sigs brake lights all work fine. Just can't get the dome light to turn off. The schematics that are offered on the internet are junk. Mopar has the most idiotic wiring I HAVE EVER SEEN!!!!

Sixtynine_Bird

Reaction score
Is there anyway you took pictures of your turn signal plug wiring? I have a weird issue. My dome light stays on constantly. The jamb switches are not even installed, the Yearone dash harness is in but I had to improvise the plug to the turn sig switch. I have an orange wire left over.....hum? The thing is all of my headlights and turn sigs brake lights all work fine. Just can't get the dome light to turn off. The schematics that are offered on the internet are junk. Mopar has the most idiotic wiring I HAVE EVER SEEN!!!!

Got the same issue as yours. Everything is working great since I changed my turn signal switch, but my dome light is always on!!!! So I remove the bulb inside the dome and now it is no longer lighting on even when I open the doors! lol just kidding but seriously if somebody knows what to do to solve that problem it'll be very helpful! :)
thank you guys!

djais1801

Reaction score
I had something killing my battery when I bought the car...so I talked to the 2nd owner and he remembered "oh yeah...I used to just disconnect my battery everywhere I went...I didn't drive it a lot" He owned it for 10yrs and bought from original owner. So we found the issue to be in the interior lights...removed the dual filament bulb in the dome light, and reversed the bulb-it lit up (where it hadn't worked prior) and the draw disappeared.
Got the same issue as yours. Everything is working great since I changed my turn signal switch, but my dome light is always on!!!! So I remove the bulb inside the dome and now it is no longer lighting on even when I open the doors! lol just kidding but seriously if somebody knows what to do to solve that problem it'll be very helpful! :)
thank you guys!

Sixtynine_Bird

Reaction score
Ok thanks I'll give it a try :)
I will let you know when we will reassemble the car. We receive a lot of parts I will put them on my post soon! :)

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Usually the dome light problem is very simple. The yellow wires feed a ground connection to the dome light. Quite often, the wires are disconnected at the switches and laying against a body ground. The other issue is a bad door switch. Sometimes you just have to turn the panel dimmer switch down to turn it off.

Sixtynine_Bird

Reaction score
Thanks for the info I will check everything you have mentioned and see what happens.

Beekeeper

Reaction score
have you checked to see if the leads that connect to jamb switches are clear and not touching the chassis of the car? the dome lamp switches are what grounds the dome light circuit when the doors are open

Sixtynine_Bird

Reaction score
I got to say no I didn't. In fact I completely disassemble the car last august, and I didn't try to solve the problem before that because at first when we received the car, the dome lamp was off even when the doors were open. We didn't thought about looking inside the door lamp, and when we did in fact there was no bulb ^^. So we put a bulb and try it and saw that it stayed on every time. So we remove it, and bought new jamb switches. We didn't install them because we were about to disassemble the car. So we never dig into it seriously. So when the car will be finish I will check everything you said and put the new jamb switches and see if it works better. :)

Back