• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post car exhaust

sam z

Reaction score
Was reading an old mopar rag recently. Galen G. included some
commentary that the overwhelming majority of 1969 post car
runners OEM exhaust had no tips just "bologna" cuts/pipes
exiting the rear (I think I learned the bologna expression on this
site).

Post car owners want to comment? My car has bologna pipes
at the present time.

mcmopar

Reaction score
My 1st runner was a post car - it had the "exhaust trumpets" as original equipment.

6t9runner440

Reaction score
Here's the back of mine with no tips...I don't know what it came with from the factory..FWIW I've always thought the roadrunner was a bare bone no frills car that was meant to do one thing...go fast :yesnod:

DSC00566.jpg

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This just goes back to the same old story - bare bones Belvedere coupes vs. better equipped Satellite hardtops as far as the standard offerings go... Most post cars didn't get the tips unless they were equipped with the A87 Road Runner Decor Package. There's tons of info on this subject over on the A12 website if you care to really delve into this topic. FWIW my car is one of the oddball A12 post cars (A87 was supposed to be a mandatory option on RM21 A12s) that didn't get the A87 package but still got the tips...

:jester:
ACME

sam z

Reaction score
Hey 6t9, I like your philosophy. I've always advocated that these cars
(especially in 1968) were supposed to be nothing but a stripped-down
poor man's car.

As I bring my car up to the next level (ie properly running and restored)
I wanna lose my power steering, keep the front bench, loose my wheel
well trim, and have bologna exhaust. All it's gonna take is a little time
and money :thumbsup: .

Roadcuda

Reaction score
My car had the tips when I got it, so I can only guess that it had them all along. As you know, those Lynch Road fender tags don't tell you much!

mac

What ?
Reaction score
i have heard people talk about cars that were destined for california and that they had to have an exhaust that had to direct the fumes down (no tips just a turned down pipe). don't really know if this was the time period for these epa type standards to start, but california does always have different rules. :cents:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
mac said:
i have heard people talk about cars that were destined for california and that they had to have an exhaust that had to direct the fumes down (no tips just a turned down pipe). don't really know if this was the time period for these epa type standards to start, but california does always have different rules. :cents:
Those monkeys in the Peoples republic of California thought by turning the pipes down it would help with emissions :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
mac said:
Those monkeys in the Peoples republic of California thought by turning the pipes down it would help with emissions :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Aren't you, like, right next door to them...??? :lmao:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
69hemibeep said:
mac said:

Aren't you, like, right next door to them...??? :lmao:

Yeh but they have to swim across the Colorado river to get to us :thumbsup:

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
mac said:

That is why the AAR and T/A had different exhaust in Cali.

The turn down does help with noise though.

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
Roadcuda said:
My car had the tips when I got it, so I can only guess that it had them all along. As you know, those Lynch Road fender tags don't tell you much!

Steve your car is loaded for a post car; buckets, console, upgraded wheel, fender mounted signals, exhaust tips, etc... Without seeing your build sheet, and if I were asked to take a guess, I'd bet a paycheck that your car came with the A87 package. Hence the exhaust tips and stainless trim on the post.

ACME

Roadcuda

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
Roadcuda said:

Steve your car is loaded for a post car; buckets, console, upgraded wheel, fender mounted signals, exhaust tips, etc... Without seeing your build sheet, and if I were asked to take a guess, I'd bet a paycheck that your car came with the A87 package. Hence the exhaust tips and stainless trim on the post.

ACME
I'd love to see the build sheet also, but it's MIA. I suspect that happened when a PO changed the interior from green to black. They even painted black over the green. :crazy:

jays69bird

Reaction score
mac said:
My convertible had the downspouts,(I added a set of tips) Also California cars have a silenced air cleaner (dual snorkel) aparently Ronnie Reagan didn't like noisy cars so they silenced the induction roar.

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
Reagan exhaust has been mentioned for the CA cars. My car looked to have had them at one time. I just added a set back and got rid of some turn downs. My car is all dressed up for a post car. Extra lights, SS trim, better interior, etc.

jays69bird

Reaction score
SomeCarGuy said:
Reagan exhaust has been mentioned for the CA cars. My car looked to have had them at one time. I just added a set back and got rid of some turn downs. My car is all dressed up for a post car. Extra lights, SS trim, better interior, etc.
Yeah I see you have the two tone door panels like my convertible,most post cars where strippers.

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
My 68 greenie post RR had the tips, tach and speaker fader on the dash..............auto on the column.......flowerdy green bench and hood paint....... :huh:

Back