• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Powder Coating v. Paint

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
OK.. I have the front suspension all apart and I was thinking seriously of having everything powder coated. After reading a little bit, I'm not quite as sold on the idea.

Keep on mind, I'm rebuilding my car to drive. Not many A-12 owners can say that most of the 100K miles on their cars were put on by themselves... My car will never be a trailer queen.

Anyone have real world experience with powder coating?

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
John I would powder coat the k-frame just do to clean up of the crap that lands on it. I did all the black parts and I'm going to drive mine also :thumbsup:

road runner 590 (Small).jpg

Plymouthfan

Reaction score
Not on car parts, but I've had lot of stuff powder coated and I like it a lot.

Keep in mind the MESS removing your oil filter CAN be. It'd be nice to know fluids like oil, gas and antifreeze that fall on it won't damage the finish. Everything else can be painted... my 2¢

John69RR

Reaction score
John, I powder coated all my suspension parts. All are black except the LCA and strut rods which are grey. Clean up is fairly easy. Years ago I had my leaf springs done in Spartan Bronze. It is actually a dark grey, almost cast like color. I've also had the pulleys and brackets done. No complaints from me. That stuff is tough.

6t9runner440

Reaction score
I was watching a show this morning and eastwood offers a powder coating kit that seems fairly reasonably priced...Seems all you need is an oven which could probably be found on craigslist or ebay cheap...The results looked pretty good(of course it's tv)...but it might be worth looking into...

http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?item ... pe=PRODUCT

There is a video on that link you can watch that will explain everything

droptop

Reaction score
My vote is for powder coating. I just picked up my K frame and rear end housing this afternoon at the powder coater. 75 bucks to do both parts. Dropped them off last Wednesday and he called and had them done on Friday. They look great, and will for many years to come. Powder coating is the way to go. :beep:

Back