• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Power disks brakes, brake pedal goes to floor

rose heiden

Rosebud
Reaction score
Thanks Russ. I see u live in Fl too. We live in thw panhandle. Do u ever go to the mecum auctions in Kissimmee?

Last edited:

rose heiden

Rosebud
Reaction score
Back again to say we are having the same problem with the brake system (pedal is very mushy). I partially went thru a yellow light with the brake pedal to the floor, going 20 mph. Can't go back to mechanic shop that fixed it. They say they don't know what else to do. So I would like to get a referral to a classic auto mechanic business that is not to far from where I live (Fort Walton Beach FL). Does anyone have a referral you can give me? thanks

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Sorry to here that rose. Has any one checked the power booster for leak's. Wish I could help you out with some one to work on the car. Where do your local car guy's hang out. They might could steer you to a good one. :(

rose heiden

Rosebud
Reaction score
Thanks Russ. The local mechanic we took it to adjusted the rod between booster and pedal and rod between booster and master cylinder. They didn't mention any leaks from the booster, but we will check it out. So I did a post on Classic Cars of Navarre for a referral to a classic auto mechanic. Got a couple replies back. We got to one of their shows late and are trying to catch some other shows. Wanted to check this forum too for more referrals.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Hope you can get it fixed soon. These brakes are basic. Was it working ok after you got it back from the other shop.

V.R.D

Reaction score
Back again to say we are having the same problem with the brake system (pedal is very mushy). I partially went thru a yellow light with the brake pedal to the floor, going 20 mph. Can't go back to mechanic shop that fixed it. They say they don't know what else to do. So I would like to get a referral to a classic auto mechanic business that is not to far from where I live (Fort Walton Beach FL). Does anyone have a referral you can give me? thanks

DeBroux Automotive Inc
Website
Directions

Save
Call
4.779 Google reviews
Auto repair shop in the Ferry Pass, Florida

Address: 9009 N Davis Hwy, Pensacola, FL 32514

Hours:
Closed ⋅ Opens 7:30AM

Phone: (850) 477-3317

this is a shop i used for my fleet in that area and great owner tell them Vance said to call.

rose heiden

Rosebud
Reaction score
VRD , thanks for the referral.

Russ, after work at shop it worked and slowly got mushy again. Going to look at replacing master cylinder and check booster for internal leaks. Thanks a bunch.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Have you noticed if you have a leaking wheel cylinder. Or maybe a leak some where in the system. Just thing's to check on you own. Sorry to here the luck. These system's are simple as they get. Don't figure why this keep happing to you. Russ.

V.R.D

Reaction score
russ might be on to something . when bleeding each wheel cylinder and you get air from 1 and not any other that wheel cylinder is sucking air it is bad and needs replacing.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Have the E brake set right so if the pedal fail's at least you have them to back you up. I did drive home with just using the E brake one time till I could get the brake fixed. Just saying. Man hope you get it figured out so you can get back on the road.

rose heiden

Rosebud
Reaction score
Have the E brake set right so if the pedal fail's at least you have them to back you up. I did drive home with just using the E brake one time till I could get the brake fixed. Just saying. Man hope you get it figured out so you can get back on the road.
That's funny, got a laugh out of that. My older brother was just here for a visit. He's 73 and had a new 1970 runner in fall of 1969. So he drove mine with me. I told him brakes were bad so he was careful. He punched it a few times and made the tires squawk . I'll have to try that myself. He said he drove his in first gear 105 mph in a quarter mile before he put in second gear. Got up to 145 mph. That was a new runner 383 automatic. Don't want to try that in an almost 52 year old runner. He's got a lot of stories. Vietnam vet too. Lives in spring hill fl.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
So Rose have you ever replaced the the power booster or rebuilt it with a new diaphragm. Have replaced many of these over the year's in different car's. They get a pin hole in them from age and will leak. Check all connection's for leaks. I know this is frustrating to say the least. It will drive you up the wall trying to find the problem. Gees girl wish we lived closer so could help. Having problem's with my door window right now trying to get thing's to work well. Catch ya latter.

Back