• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Power steering gear leak

Rumrunner

Reaction score
I have a leak I can't fix. It's out of the "steering valve body" also called the "valve assembly" (both names on different pages of same manual) on the top of the power steering gear . The pressure hose goes into the top and the non-pressure line goes into the front.
the book say's 7 ft pounds of torque on the bolts, I've tried that. More torque, I've tried that. Moving the valve body around, I've tried that a couple of times. I've oiled the O-rings (three of them) I've greased them. I've tried them dry. The O-rings that came in the rebuild kit are very thin.
I am vexed!
HELP!

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I'd try o-rings from a different source or you have too much pressure. the movement is there to adjust the steering to center. with the front in the air and running center the wheels and shut off the engine the wheels may turn left or right if so loosen and slide the part and tighten until the wheels stay centered. Sure its not the hose?

Rumrunner

Reaction score
Thanks Hemi. You got back to me once on the wheels turning and was right on. It's the valve assembly not the hoses. I've tried to find thicker o-rings but so far have not found the exact sizes looking for just a little thicker.

Rumrunner

Reaction score
OK, found the issue. When I rebuild the gear, (over two years ago)I did not seat the Pivot Lever correctly into the Spool Valve that's inside the Steering Valve Body Or possible the split on the other end of the Pivot Lever that seats on a small ridge inside the steering gear housing itself.
Working well.

Back