• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pulling brakes...

Roadcuda

Reaction score
but not on my RR, it's on a friends '72 Dart. When he first got the car we went through the brakes and replaced everything except for 2 or 3 lines that were still good. They worked fine for a while but then they started pulling to the left, with the severity depending on how hard they were applied. He had tightened up the right side and backed off on the left side but the problem continued. Since one of the original lines started to leak he got a complete hard line kit which we installed yesterday. We took particular care bleeding the right front to make sure it had no air, but they still pulled to the left when applied. So we then pulled the front drums to make sure everything was ok. I had him gently push on the pedal to make sure the shoes expanded correctly which they did. The only thing I noticed was that the self adjusting cable was slightly loose, where the left side was not. That loose cable allowed the adjusting lever to be lower then, and not touching the adjusting screw. So I wonder, with the self adjuster most likely not working on the right side and not tightening up, but it does on the left be causing the problem? Or is there something else I should look for? Everything looks to be correct. Thanks.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
droptop said:
I have seen 2 different size wheel cylinders cause this problem.
That did cross my mind Harold. They are new but we could have gotten two different sizes and not realize it. We may have to look at that.

abodybill

Senior Citizen Member
Reaction score
Steve,

I had the rubber hose break down from the inside and it would do just what you are talking about pull from the side with the bad hose.

just my :cents:

Roadcuda

Reaction score
abodybill said:
Steve,

I had the rubber hose break down from the inside and it would do just what you are talking about pull from the side with the bad hose.

just my :cents:
Those hoses were replaced when we did the first rebuild after he first go the car Bill, but thanks anyways.

moparchris

Reaction score
Does it pull upon initial application and then straighten out? Or does it pull as long as your foot is on the pedal. The reason I ask is that The hardware and adjustment pull initially and then straighten out typically and unequal drum diameters pull anytime the pedal is applied. Another thing to consider is the shoes and if one is adjusted tighter than the other the tight side will get super heated and glaze over altering the friction compound thus altering how hard the shoe bites.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
moparchris said:
Does it pull upon initial application and then straighten out? Or does it pull as long as your foot is on the pedal. The reason I ask is that The hardware and adjustment pull initially and then straighten out typically and unequal drum diameters pull anytime the pedal is applied. Another thing to consider is the shoes and if one is adjusted tighter than the other the tight side will get super heated and glaze over altering the friction compound thus altering how hard the shoe bites.

Yeah Chris, it pulls from the start but does not straighten out. The harder you have to push the pedal the more it pulls. I know that the drums were turned but I don't know if they matched the diameters on each drum. Would it be worth swapping the drums around to see what happens? Also my friend tried to loosen the adjustment on the left side but it made no difference.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Make sure the shoes are in their proper places, longer shoe in the rear, one long and one short on each side. Also, check the adjusters to be sure they are assembled correctly.

I've seen many drum brakes put together wrong. Backwards and even both long shoes on one side and both short shoes on the other.

Sometimes though.... for the price of the components, it's better to start from scratch with new shoes, springs, hardware etc.

moparchris

Reaction score
Big John said:
Make sure the shoes are in their proper places, longer shoe in the rear, one long and one short on each side. Also, check the adjusters to be sure they are assembled correctly.

I've seen many drum brakes put together wrong. Backwards and even both long shoes on one side and both short shoes on the other.

Sometimes though.... for the price of the components, it's better to start from scratch with new shoes, springs, hardware etc.
I totally agree with this statement. I would also measure the drums carefully, a few thousanths of an inch will make a big difference. You could swap them side to side but thats too much work for me, I would rather take the time to measure them and have them turned to the same exact diameter and also the same texture. Sounds like its the drums or the shoes themselves.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
Thanks guys. There are all new parts on the car now but we will have to recheck everything. Once we find the problem I will let you know.

Bryan_H

Reaction score
Hello- did you ever find an answer to this problem? Mine is doing the same thing- pulling to the left and getting more extreme the harder you brake- and I'm wondering where to begin on diagnosing the problem. Thanks!

Roadcuda

Reaction score
Hello- did you ever find an answer to this problem? Mine is doing the same thing- pulling to the left and getting more extreme the harder you brake- and I'm wondering where to begin on diagnosing the problem. Thanks!
Actually I did. At least in this case it was a bad idler arm.

Bryan_H

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback.

We ripped apart the passenger side front drum last night after we jacked up the front end, spun the front passenger tire, hit the brake pedal...and nothing happened.

As it turns out, the brake cylinder inside this drum is frozen. I ordered a new one from Napa last night- $17.00- and am going to try and replace it tonight to see if it cures my issues. I guess I'll start there before getting too agitated and buying the disc brake conversion kit!!!!

Will let you know---- thanks again.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
just a thought, if this does cure your problems, go ahad and replace the wheel cylindwer on the other side too. might be a 40+ year old part. then with both wheels jacked up, adjut the brkes thill they feel the same. then adjust the back brakes(may as well replace those wheel cylinders too).

Back