• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question Re: Headlight Bezel Paint Color

MsBeep

Reaction score
When installing a new front lighting harness in my car, I had the opportunity to check out the condition and appearance of the front headlight bezels and grille. Replaced missing and mis-matched hardware as required- although I would have been seriously SOL if I didn't have my stash of original screws, j-nuts, etc. to look through.

My car has, and has always had a medium silver texture painted bezel with a black satin face to match the (OE) grille. I like the way it looks, but thought it could use a fresh face...

In 2007, I ordered a repro grille and bezel set from "The Paddock" and found that the headlight bezels are painted with a darker grey textured paint than what is on the car. I was wondering what models had "medium silver" and which had "dark argent" headlight bezels?

Which bezel paint color is correct for the 1969 road runner?

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
I got a new grill hardware kit from AMD thru Jeff @ 521 Restorations.
I believe the road runners had the dark argent, and the Belvederes and Satallites had the silver. i THINK the gTXs are the same as the road runners but wouldn't dwear to the color match.

IMG_4311_zpsd2867bcc.jpg

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
I think you're right, i meant mainly the colors were the same.

MsBeep

Reaction score
Thank you for attaching a picture of the bezels Dave. I will keep the reproduction set a while longer- they don't appear to be getting any cheaper to ship to Canada.
It is good to know that the dark argent is considered correct for the road runner.
The original grille and bezels seem to be of a heavier gauge of metal and I will brave the bugs on the highway run with them a few more times.

Thanks also to mahoney0_00_3 for your input and picture. That's two votes for the dark argent!

Guys, I am currently held hostage by concrete work being done on our property: new sidewalks, patio and double drive pads.
It has been gloriously sunny and hot since the construction began last week; but the Bird must stay in its cage until new pour is cured. SO hard to wait.... :crazy:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Thank you for attaching a picture of the bezels Dave. I will keep the reproduction set a while longer- they don't appear to be getting any cheaper to ship to Canada.
It is good to know that the dark argent is considered correct for the road runner.
The original grille and bezels seem to be of a heavier gauge of metal and I will brave the bugs on the highway run with them a few more times.

Thanks also to mahoney0_00_3 for your input and picture. That's two votes for the dark argent!

Guys, I am currently held hostage by concrete work being done on our property: new sidewalks, patio and double drive pads.
It has been gloriously sunny and hot since the construction began last week; but the Bird must stay in its cage until new pour is cured. SO hard to wait.... :crazy:

Down here it cures in a day:lol:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
must be the Red cars....Steve from England was held hostage for a few days by concrete work.....

MsBeep

Reaction score
Yep,been there,done that :grumpy:

005-3.jpg

I'm still being held hostage by concrete work and now...the weather! Thunderstorms and increasing amounts of rain in the forecast have delayed the pour - it was scheduled for tomorrow and Friday, but now not going to happen. Maybe next week, and then it's curing time :popcorn:

IMGP0534.jpgIMGP0662.jpg

IMGP0534.jpg

IMGP0662.jpg

Back