• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Questions about headers, bell alignment and brake lines!!!!

Rocket

Reaction score
I had some retired gentleman that were going to help me out. I was going to drop her off this week but they can't do it for at least a couple more months. So I decided I am going to tackle this myself! So if you don't mind I have a few questions.

1. Bellhousing - I am putting a 513(10.5 Aluminum) bell from a '70 Road Runner on it. Is it recommended I check for alignment or would I be ok just going with the stock dowels?
2. Headers - I have some Hooker Super Competition 1 7/8" headers I just bought. I have studs on my heads. Should I take them out? If so what is the best way? And what is the best way to install headers with engine installed? Jack it up a bit?
3.Brake and Fule lines - I have frame connectors - Is there any way I can use the prebent lines? The retired guys were going to do this for me so a little bummed.
4.Is there a template for the frame ballstud bracket?
5. If any of you guys are local to Fairfax VA maybe I can grease you up to work on it with me.

That's it for now. Thanks for your help.

csuk9

Reaction score
Re: Questions about headers, bell alignment and brake lines!

Wish I could come over. I love helping out guys with their cars.

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score

Rocket said:
I had some retired gentleman that were going to help me out. I was going to drop her off this week but they can't do it for at least a couple more months. So I decided I am going to tackle this myself! So if you don't mind I have a few questions.

1. Bellhousing - I am putting a 513(10.5 Aluminum) bell from a '70 Road Runner on it. Is it recommended I check for alignment or would I be ok just going with the stock dowels?
2. Headers - I have some Hooker Super Competition 1 7/8" headers I just bought. I have studs on my heads. Should I take them out? If so what is the best way? And what is the best way to install headers with engine installed? Jack it up a bit?
3.Brake and Fule lines - I have frame connectors - Is there any way I can use the prebent lines? The retired guys were going to do this for me so a little bummed.
5. If any of you guys are local to Fairfax VA maybe I can grease you up to work on it with me.

1. not sure
2. you have to make sure you get a full nut with lock washer...measure it....passenger side may bolt right up and drivers side engine would need to be jacked up
3. yes
4. not sure
5.not local...sorry

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score

Rocket said:

1. I have been lucky in the past slamming them together but if you can get the tools and knowhow to check center I would. 2. I like using the studs but they may inter fear with the headers and need cut or removed. Depending on the headers and car the headers will not come clear of the studs say if you need to pull the heads. Also they go into the water jacket so use sealer on the threads. 3. You will most likely be bending your own fuel and brake lines. 4. No but I can attach some Pics 5. tooooo far away

roadrunner restoration 251 (640x480).jpg

roadrunner restoration 043 (640x480).jpg

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

If you are using the 513 bellhousing you must also change to the 130 tooth 10.5" flywheel, clutch, and PP. The original 11" flywheel has 143 teeth and won't work.

Rocket

Reaction score

Thanks George, 69hemi, and ACME, I appreciate the input. ACME - I got bell, flywheel and tranny from the same car so it's the 10.5"

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score

ACME A12 said:
If you are using the 513 bellhousing you must also change to the 130 tooth 10.5" flywheel, clutch, and PP. The original 11" flywheel has 143 teeth and won't work.
Its been a long time ago but I remember doing something like that when I went with a scatter shield

moparchris

Reaction score

Rocket said:

Its always good to check alignment, but with factory stuff I rarely check it.
Remove the studs and use header bolts, they have a smaller head and will be easier to tighten. Use sealer on them like has been said. The best way to install hookers is to jack the car up as high as you can get it, then remove the centerlink and both motor mounts and jack the motor up as high as you can go. Then slide the headers up from the bottom.
I would buy the prebent ones and just massage them to fit. You should have no problem with them because they dont really go near where your subframe connectors are.
No. The way I have always done it is get your trans and bellhousing installed sitting on the mounts. Then install the ball stud on the bell housing and install the Z bar with the other ball stud and bracket and align the Z bar to where its at a perfect right angle to the trans. Weld it in.
Not local but would be willing to fly out and fix it all for you if you have an extra Superbird laying around that you dont want anymore.

Rocket

Reaction score

Thanks Chris, I am excited! I have a slew of parts to put on from headers to wiring harnesses.

moparchris said:
Rocket said:

Its always good to check alignment, but with factory stuff I rarely check it.
Remove the studs and use header bolts, they have a smaller head and will be easier to tighten. Use sealer on them like has been said. The best way to install hookers is to jack the car up as high as you can get it, then remove the centerlink and both motor mounts and jack the motor up as high as you can go. Then slide the headers up from the bottom.
I would buy the prebent ones and just massage them to fit. You should have no problem with them because they dont really go near where your subframe connectors are.
No. The way I have always done it is get your trans and bellhousing installed sitting on the mounts. Then install the ball stud on the bell housing and install the Z bar with the other ball stud and bracket and align the Z bar to where its at a perfect right angle to the trans. Weld it in.
Not local but would be willing to fly out and fix it all for you if you have an extra Superbird laying around that you dont want anymore.

moparchris

Reaction score

Yeah! I love 4 speed conversions! Very rewarding and fun when your done!! Go get it!

Back