• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Quick update

JJRJR

Reaction score
Well, I get the Runner back from the Mopar guy I found shortly. Spoke to him today and he said she's running awesome. Despite having a "qualified" tech adjust the carb, I knew it wasn't right. He said the back bowls were open way to much and the idle/air mixture was a mess. He's got it right now. Also added a one inch carb spacer.

He thought she was hard to start so he checked the MSD wiring. Despite also having that done by the same tech, it was only putting out 6 volts to the coil, somehow wired wrong. Rewired now getting a full 12 and she fires right up on the first try. Let's see, what else. . .

I complained about running at 210 as it turns out only one of the two electric fans was working. Wired wrong again. He fixed it now runs 180 all day, so he says. Then he added a toggle switch under the dash as an anti-theft kill switch. Very cool guy.

He wired the fans so that they come on as soon as the key is turned on so the fans run all the time. He said that's how he has his Super Bee 500 stroker motor and he wouldn't do it any other way. Opinions?

Finally, he changed all the plugs since she was running so rich. From what I'm told she runs very strong and smooth; I can't wait to drive her. She's off to the AC guy tomorrow so he can put the evaporator back in and get the AC back in order. Long road my friends.

I'll keep you all posted after I drive her.

Thanks,

John

Roadcuda

Reaction score
Sounds like you found the right guy to work on it! Hope it turns out the way you want it to!

JJRJR

Reaction score
Roadcuda said:
Sounds like you found the right guy to work on it! Hope it turns out the way you want it to!

Thanks man. Yea, this guy has a 69 Super Bee with a 500 stroker. Does 9.5 with nitrous and lot 10's without. He also has a Pro Systems carb, which I have. So, we'll see how he did.

J

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
JJRJR said:
He wired the fans so that they come on as soon as the key is turned on so the fans run all the time. He said that's how he has his Super Bee 500 stroker motor and he wouldn't do it any other way. Opinions?

I have a Flex-A-Lite adjustable thermostatic fan control switch on my '74 Duster which I like very much - probably my favorite set-up because I can adjust for extreme FLA summertime duty. I also have a Painless thermostatic relay set-up on my Pro-Street Camaro. 185 on and 170 off. It's simple and effective. I prefer something that is thermostatically controlled. :cents:

You do at least have a fan relay wired in, right?

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
well thats great its all straighten out....when i wired up my twin spal fans i had 2 relays so it had 14 volts going to them and also had them on a toggle switch and did run all the time
how did you make out with your leaking vent lines at the gas tank??

JJRJR

Reaction score
george68hemirr said:
well thats great its all straighten out....when i wired up my twin spal fans i had 2 relays so it had 14 volts going to them and also had them on a toggle switch and did run all the time
how did you make out with your leaking vent lines at the gas tank??

Hey George, thanks. Gary texted me this morning and said the car runs great. He picked it up to bring to AC guy. So far I'm told the leak is fixed. Added longer fuel line to connect the vent tubes to the tank.

JJRJR

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
JJRJR said:

I have a Flex-A-Lite adjustable thermostatic fan control switch on my '74 Duster which I like very much - probably my favorite set-up because I can adjust for extreme FLA summertime duty. I also have a Painless thermostatic relay set-up on my Pro-Street Camaro. 185 on and 170 off. It's simple and effective. I prefer something that is thermostatically controlled. :cents:

I was just informed that one of the mechanics recommended we remove the fan relay?? No clue why, but can you tell me why they are important and why I should have one? I'm sure I can have it reinstalled. Thanks, John

JJRJR

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
JJRJR said:

OK I was just told that they pulled the relay (which I'm told makes the fan go on/off at certain temps) because they thought it was killing the battery. Now the fan is wired so it goes on as soon as you turn the ignition and runs all the time.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
JJRJR said:
I was just informed that one of the mechanics recommended we remove the fan relay?? No clue why, but can you tell me why they are important and why I should have one? I'm sure I can have it reinstalled. Thanks, John

The reason for a fan relay, or any other type of relay is to run the largest amount of current to the load as is possible. So to do this the shortest run of heavy-gauge wire is used between the battery and the load. Using long lengths of heavy-gauge wire causes a voltage drop. A shorter wire between the battery and the fan reduces this drop and improves performance. The role of the relay is to act as a heavy-duty conductor between the fan and the battery. Jim, Bob, Big, or one of the other electrical whizzes on here can probably explain it much better. I was just always taught to use a relay on anything that draws a heavy load when wiring up a car.

Back