• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rad Flush Quesrion

CWR

Reaction score
I'm going to flush my rad before winter. I went to drain it today and the "T "on the drain on the bottom right of the rad turns but doesn't seems to be attached to the drain screw. Can I simply drain thru the lower rad hose opening? (after I remove the lower hose) I'm trying to become a do it yourselfer!! :brickwall:

Roadcuda

Reaction score
CWR said:
I'm going to flush my rad before winter. I went to drain it today and the "T "on the drain on the bottom right of the rad turns but doesn't seems to be attached to the drain screw. Can I simply drain thru the lower rad hose opening? (after I remove the lower hose) I'm trying to become a do it yourselfer!! :brickwall:
First, what's a quesrion? :jester: Seriously, you can drain it from the lower hose, but you'll have to be carefull pulling the hose off so it dosen't all rush out all at once!

BBillyC

Reaction score
Just did mine this morning, so I might answer the quesrion. :basketcase: If the pet-cock is turning and nothing coming out it is probably plugged, or the "T" is separated from the valve and is just free spinning. Use a 9/16 wrench to remove the whole bet-cock to let it drain from the hole. Be careful that it is not hot and try to control the rate as with the open hole it will gush.

When you refill, keep checking the level as the engine warms and burp the hose going to the thermostat. When it has warmed up and all the air out of the coolant keep filling at a rate of 1 pint per minute until the top of the fluid level is 1-1/4 inches from the filler neck. When all is warmed up and running with the coolant moving with the thermostat open you should be fine.

Then go do a burnout :drive:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
Then go do a burnout :drive:[/quote]

AND DON"T FORGET THE CAMERA!! :drive: :drive: :drive:

CWR

Reaction score
got the job done............drained rad.........then added water and flushing agent,,ran it until stat opened and 10 minutes after that. I'll drain it again add just water , run it again drain and fill with anti freeze..........maybe because its about 63 F outside but it seemed to run cooler with just water and the rad flush.just over 180

CWR

Reaction score
Re: Rad Flush Question

I cant seem to get the drain plugs out of the sides of the block to drain the Water/Coolant

Are the threads on the nuts the regular ...right to tighten.left to loosen?

If I can't get them out does anyone know how much water/coolant is left in the block? If I know that, I can calculate a 50:50 mixture Its a 440 cid engine.I,ve flushed it twice so its pretty much water in there now

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Re: Rad Flush Question

CWR said:
I cant seem to get the drain plugs out of the sides of the block to drain the Water/Coolant

Are the threads on the nuts the regular ...right to tighten.left to loosen?

If I can't get them out does anyone know how much water/coolant is left in the block? If I know that, I can calculate a 50:50 mixture Its a 440 cid engine.I,ve flushed it twice so its pretty much water in there now
I wouldn't mess with the block plugs you could cause more work than you want. Just run fresh water through the system until its clean, add 2 gallons of anti freeze and distilled water is pretty close! I even start the engine for a half a minute at a time a couple of times to have the water pump push things out, just make sure your running water into it so the pumps not dry. Oh pull the thermostat or you wont get much done.

CWR

Reaction score
I think you are right about the plugs......if its not broken dont try to fix it. I've flushed a couple of times and left it running until stat opens...........will do that when I add coolant also

Thanks for the confirmation

Back