• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ran it out of gas…I hope!

woodwiz

Reaction score
Went out and fired the 70RR this morning for a trip to the hot rod shop.
Started ok,but a second or two later it just died. Started again and died like turning off the switch. I have no way to carry more than a couple of gallons of fuel in the tank…have leak at the float connector on the tank. So I’m hoping my gas gauge is accurate and when it peg’s the E means empty.
Sorry it took this long to get to my question….will the mechanical fuel pump have a hard time getting fuel and purging air in the fuel line to the carb? Tried a splash of fuel in the carb directly and nothing…maybe flooded?
HELP!!!!

Roadtrip

Reaction score
to me, an engine running out of fuel usually provides signs of it first, coughing, sputtering, chugging, etc…. An abrupt shutting off of the engine usually indicates something else - ignition, electrical etc….

seeing as you primed the carb manually and it still didn’t run I’m guessing your problems are more likely on the electrical end of the spectrum.

start over, put 3 gallons of gas in the car, prime the carb, and try again to be sure you didn’t just run out of gas prior to looking at other reasons.

good luck

woodwiz

Reaction score
I shall sir! Pulled #1 plug and it was wet,but each time it quit and it was 2times it just abruptly died. I even thought of a ballast resistor swap…nothing,back to the original. Should I be chasing the coil,V regulator,ECU?
Got a flatbed hauling it to the shop.
Way too hot in the garage 106*

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
:popcorn: this is frustrating for sure. I went through two Elder brock coils they are trash. Now have an MSD coil. Yes if it dose not crank with fuel down the carb may be something else. Check all the electrical part. Got a new distributor and blast resistor as well as the ECU from summit. NO point's electronic set up. Summit had the kit for a good price. Easy to install. Some wiring involved but directions come with the kit. Check your start run relay. Well wish you luck trying to figure it out. It is trying to figure out what is wrong.

Back