• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear alignment kits anyone?

DirtyBird

Reaction score
While I rebuild my drum brakes in the rear, I know that I need to replace everything else....Can someone recommend an inexpensive but quality kit? I saw the classic industries has a front end kit but I need the rear? Not looking to spend a lot but is Polyurethane the way to go?

Thanks!

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
There's only the front and rear spring eye bushings. One each for the front and 2 pair each for the rear. The last ones I got came from NAPA, but any decent brand will work just fine.

I don't care for the poly ones myself. They squeak and make the ride harsher with no benefit for street use.

One word about installation.... Put the leaf springs with the new bushings back into place and leave the front eye bolts and rear shackle nuts finger tight. Get the U-bolts (I like using new ones) tight and get the car back down on the tires.... Then tighten the eye bolts and shackles. Tightening while the car is in the air can cause the rubber to stress and eventually tear.

DirtyBird

Reaction score
How about a kit you could recommend that has everything and is not too expensive? I prefer to buy the whole lot and tackle both front and rear at the same time?

DirtyBird

Reaction score
So I spoke with Laura from Springs and things (thanks 69hemibeep). Do I need all of this or can I replace some for now? I really can't spend $850 for the whole lot. Here is what she quoted me at for the

Front: The front end kit includes the outer tie rod ends, upper & lower ball joints, upper & lower control arm bushings, sway bar end links and strut rod bushings and is $215 with rubber bushings. You can add inner tie rod ends $26/pair; sleeves $32/pair; idler arm $40; pitman arm $135; cam bolts $40/set of 4; control arm bumpers $20/set of 4; triangular sway bar bushings $18/pair (need size 7/8 or 15/16 if ordering)

and

Rear: the 440 springs are $250/pair. They are matched pairs and include the front bushings pressed in. The shackles with rear bushings are $40/pair, the ubolts $16/set of 4 and eye bolts are $6/pair.

I don't think I need the leaf springs right away so that could narrow it down a bit.

What do you guys think? Many thanks for the help!

J

DirtyBird

Reaction score
any help guys? :)

I'm really on a tight budget here and I want to only get whats necessary....

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Do you really need new springs? Just swapping bushings or maybe doing the inner liners will save you some money.

Without knowing the shape of your front end, it's hard to advise what to do. I can give some broad suggestions.

If any of the bushings in the front look bad, I really suggest biting the bullet and doing all the bushings. The rest of the stuff can be replaced as needed. You can check the ball joints and most of the time the upper really doesn't wear like the lower. The outer tie rod ends wear before the inners do.

Back