• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear Main Seal

Terry Hauck

Choadicus
Reaction score
Finally got my 440 kicking and all seems good except for the damn rear seal. My 383 leaked too. I used the billet aluminum setup from Indy Cyl. Heads. Guess I have my winter project all lined up. What have you guys had success with?

440A.jpg

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
That is the one thing we dread having to do. They are not that hard but getting it done is the real job. Are you going with the rope seal or the Venton. Use gray silicone on the retainer edges.

Terry Hauck

Choadicus
Reaction score
That is the one thing we dread having to do. They are not that hard but getting it done is the real job. Are you going with the rope seal or the Venton. Use gray silicone on the retainer edges.
I'm going to use the stock housing with the blue side seals that came in my Fel-Pro kit. What a disappointment. I finally get the pan and valve covers to seal and this.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
I have a similar experience with valve covers. Check my oil often. Noticed it was low one morning and added oil. Thought where it could be going. After further inspection found the right valve cover was leaking at the back. Down the head and ran down the bell housing. Tighten my cover bolts and all is good now. With all the heat from the motor think the gasket must shrink. Have the heavy-duty gaskets. Guess where never done working on our cars. Good luck with the seal change.

Back