• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

rear rebuild

Big Mo

Reaction score
I am getting ready to rebuild the rear out of my 68 runner. It is a 489 with sure grip. How far should I go with this? I did not have any noise or problems while I had it on the road. Thank you from Big Mo.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
If its quiet and not leaking I would put it up in the air and check the end play of the axles also have a buddy grab one tire and you the other and turn in opposite directions a good sure grip should put up quite a battle close to 200lbs. If thats all good suck the gear lube out with a pump and refill it and add conditioner. If it ait broke don't fix it! If it fails pull the axles pull the center section and have it all inspected if you don't know how.

pro-streeter

Reaction score
x2. I would just inspect and detail as needed.

If its quiet and not leaking I would put it up in the air and check the end play of the axles also have a buddy grab one tire and you the other and turn in opposite directions a good sure grip should put up quite a battle close to 200lbs. If thats all good suck the gear lube out with a pump and refill it and add conditioner. If it ait broke don't fix it! If it fails pull the axles pull the center section and have it all inspected if you don't know how.

Back