• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear seat back rot

69RunnerMike

Reaction score
I've got some rot on the frame of my rear seat back. It runs along the entire bottom and a little ways up each side. I need to cut it out and weld in a new piece of steel. I've got time though. My seat covers won't be ready until March 2023. Legendary Auto has a lead time of 284 days.

20220813_180314.jpg

WWheeler

Reaction score
That is probably spring steel. If it is welded, it will alter the metallurgy and therefore the spring properties. Need to figure out a mechanical way to splice. Thank God I got my interior kit a year or so ago. Parts are hit and miss these days. Just can't depend on vendors having the parts you need when you need it.

69RunnerMike

Reaction score
That is probably spring steel. If it is welded, it will alter the metallurgy and therefore the spring properties. Need to figure out a mechanical way to splice. Thank God I got my interior kit a year or so ago. Parts are hit and miss these days. Just can't depend on vendors having the parts you need when you need it.
Are you saying that the outside frame is spring steel? Could I replace the rotted part with carbon steel?

WWheeler

Reaction score
If I remember right, that is close to the same size material as the spring? If so, I would think it was spring steel and meant to flex. Thicker and wider frame parts are not meant to flex and are not spring steel. You can see in the picture that they used a mechanical strap to tie the cross piece to the spring.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
The picture is what I replace with fish tape. You can order those clips online that rap the spring to that part that is rotted out. Had to double up on the fish tape but worked out well. Don't have any pics of what I did but you will figure it out. Can buy a small fish tape in the electrical part of Lowes or Home Depot. When done it is grate for pulling wires through conduit. LOL. You can heat it up with a prophane torch to bend it and wont loose it's tensile strength.

69RunnerMike

Reaction score
Thanks Russ. Do I drill small holes in the tape and spot weld it to the remaing seat frame? Where did you order the clips, I couldn't find them?

Back