• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rearend setup on my project. I know somethings wierd?

stevo427

Reaction score
So whats up with these bars under my leaf springs? Guy I bought it off said they where some sort of old ladder bar setup. The rear end is an 8 3/4 489 with a sure grip. The yoke spun 3 3/4 times for 1 tire spin so I'm guessing its a 3.91 (Which would be awesome). Help? haha
photo17z.jpg

photo16ok.jpg

photorzh.jpg

photo13o.jpg

photo2mlv.jpg

In this picture I was wondering if the 4-speed trans crossmember was still intact. Someone swapped in an auto
photo3ug.jpg

photo1nfs.jpg

downloadpb.jpg

and cats seem to think the roadrunner is a bed :loco:
photo18vz.jpg

P.S I was glad to find out the runner has an undercoating and when chipped off reveals nice black paint. Everywhere i chip it off the underside looks new. It's covered in this under coating.
photo15fv.jpg

Thanks for any help

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Those are some old traction bars and the rubber snubbers are gone off the front. They worked ok on mopars but it was much easier to put a pinion snubber on top of the diff which worked well and was sneaky, out of sight.

stevo427

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
Those are some old traction bars and the rubber snubbers are gone off the front. They worked ok on mopars but it was much easier to put a pinion snubber on top of the diff which worked well and was sneaky, out of sight.
Sweet thanks. So it's safe to say all of my original rear suspension is still intact other then these traction bars?. All I'd have to do is install some rubber snubbers and they'd work fine?. I'm new to mopar style suspension. A lot different then trailing arm style trucks. and whats with the shock absorbers? Couldn't really see where they would mount up to.

stevo427

Reaction score
Or could I just remove them. There kind of ugly looking and from what I read they dont help much on a mopar like you said.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
stevo427 said:
Or could I just remove them. There kind of ugly looking and from what I read they dont help much on a mopar like you said.

They don't help at all.

They were used on GM cars to prevent wheel hop. The long front section of a GM leaf spring would curl up under acceleration and actually pull the tire up off the ground. Then when traction was lost, the tire would drop back down, catch traction again and the spring would curl again. On and on, causing the tire to "hop" up and down.

Mopars didn't need the bandaid. The leaf spring had a shorter, stiffer front section. No wheel hop.

Problem was some of the Mopar guys did their best to copy the GM guys... So when K-Mart had a sale on yellow traction bars, the uninformed went out and spent their paychecks.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Big John said:
stevo427 said:

They don't help at all.

They were used on GM cars to prevent wheel hop. The long front section of a GM leaf spring would curl up under acceleration and actually pull the tire up off the ground. Then when traction was lost, the tire would drop back down, catch traction again and the spring would curl again. On and on, causing the tire to "hop" up and down.

Mopars didn't need the bandaid. The leaf spring had a shorter, stiffer front section. No wheel hop.

Problem was some of the Mopar guys did their best to copy the GM guys... So when K-Mart had a sale on yellow traction bars, the uninformed went out and spent their paychecks.

:yeathat:

You will need a set of shock mounting plates - your original ones are gone - replaced by the GM slapper bars. Hit e-bag or the local swap meet. Not hard to find. Someone on here may even have an extra set that they will sell you.

stevo427

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
[quote="Big John":1jnxio94]
stevo427 said:

They don't help at all.

:yeathat:

You will need a set of shock mounting plates - your original ones are gone - replaced by the GM slapper bars. Hit e-bag or the local swap meet. Not hard to find. Someone on here may even have an extra set that they will sell you.[/quote:1jnxio94]Thanks a lot guys. Love the advise on here. Looks like im in the market for the oem setup like you mentioned.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
hard to tell on the crossmember, post up a shot of it from the front. the 4 speed member looks the same front/back. the auto has an extra piece...towards one side for the rubber mount, where on the 4 speed it's inside the member. I might have an extra set of the shock plates. Let me know and I can look this weekend.

stevo427

Reaction score
Basketcase said:
hard to tell on the crossmember, post up a shot of it from the front. the 4 speed member looks the same front/back. the auto has an extra piece...towards one side for the rubber mount, where on the 4 speed it's inside the member. I might have an extra set of the shock plates. Let me know and I can look this weekend.
Alright I'll get a picture of the front when I get off work. And that'd be awesome

stevo427

Reaction score
Looked at my rear cross Member where the shocks hook up to and it's pretty torn up. So I'll add that to the list of stuff to eventually get also haha

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
yeah mine was tore up pretty good when I got this car. lucked out and got one at the boneyard for $25. AMD (and others) sell them new.

Back