• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

removing a 383 w/4 spd engine

trim88

Reaction score
Hi, Removing the engine.... Which way is the best, engine and tranny together or tranny, then engine? I guess you need to remove the radiator and some front end bracing to do it all together,??? Only did 1 engine removal, and that was in my much, much younger days. Thanks for any advice, Jim

rkb2

Reaction score
:lock: If you don't have to take the tranny out I wouldn't. You have to have the front end up in the air to get both out together and its hard to balance, Roll the cherry picker and much heavier than just the engine. the only advantage is when putting it back in its a little difficult to get the nose of the four speed back in the pilot bearing. That just takes a little lining up though and your back in business. My :cents:

A31PKG

Reaction score
I know the attached pic looks difficult, but you would be surprised just how easy it is. These cars are very light in the front without the eng/trans installed. Lifting it by the bumper brackets is very easy to do with a cherry picker and makes eng & trans installation a breeze... It's even easier with a lift, but this works just fine... I can provide measurements for the angle iron and you can go to your local metal supplier, or even a welding shop, and have the brackets made.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
A31PKG said:
I know the attached pic looks difficult, but you would be surprised just how easy it is. These cars are very light in the front without the eng/trans installed. Lifting it by the bumper brackets is very easy to do with a cherry picker and makes eng & trans installation a breeze... It's even easier with a lift, but this works just fine... I can provide measurements for the angle iron and you can go to your local metal supplier, or even a welding shop, and have the brackets made.
I agree this is the only way to fly. Torsion bars brake lines and upper control arms and trans mount and you don't need help. The other way I would disconnect the trans to help prevent scratching things up unless you have some help.

BBillyC

Reaction score
Both together out the top but make sure you plug the output shaft of the trans or you'll have tranny oil all over the place. At the factory they put them in through the bottom but for the home mechanic there is many things to disconnect if you're going out the bottom.

droptop

Reaction score
Pull it all at once and use one of these. 40 bucks at Harbor Freight. You will be able to get the angle you need to clear every thing. I have done this many times with out issue.

mcmopar

Reaction score
Remember whichever way you do it to place a couple of plastic bags over the tailshaft of the trans to catch the trans fluid that will come pouring out. I usually use some kind of Qt. sized storage bag (2 actually - one inside the other) and tie them on with string or wire. When you lift that tranny up the fluid will come pouring out all over your nice clean garage floor if you don't. Either that or place an oil drain pan under it and slowly lift the engine/trans and allow the trans fluid to drain into the pan.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
mcmopar said:
Remember whichever way you do it to place a couple of plastic bags over the tailshaft of the trans to catch the trans fluid that will come pouring out. I usually use some kind of Qt. sized storage bag (2 actually - one inside the other) and tie them on with string or wire. When you lift that tranny up the fluid will come pouring out all over your nice clean garage floor if you don't. Either that or place an oil drain pan under it and slowly lift the engine/trans and allow the trans fluid to drain into the pan.

Johnny-Boy, what kind of shade tree operation do you run over there??? Good lord. :lol:

Trim, get yourself a Lisle 23400 tranny plug kit. It'll run you about $8 - $14 at most parts stores. it will plug anything you want, including A833's and A727's. Leave the plastic bags to the Neanderthals driving blue ovals.... :D
Personally, I keep spare yokes around just for this purpose; just slide one in and zip-tie it on. But I also have the Lisle kit for those rare ocassions when all of my yokes are tied up.

As for the out the top versus out the bottom discussion - if you ever take one out the bottom and reinstall it that way you'll just want to throw rocks at the notion of ever doing it out the top again... :yesnod:

:jester:
ACME

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
depends, if I just need to pull the engine, then I pull just the engine. If I need both out.......then I stick a couple Wal Mart bags over the tail shaft and zip tie it (knuckles may be dragging, but no Blue Oval Boy here......)

trim88

Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions, I'm going to ponder that out the bottom idea....never woulda thought :huh: Mainly thanks for the pics. Without them and 2 of you saying thats the way to go, I probably would of scoffed. That's what happens when you try to teach an old dog new tricks. Many thanks, Jim

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
trim88 said:
Thanks for all the suggestions, I'm going to ponder that out the bottom idea....never woulda thought :huh: Mainly thanks for the pics. Without them and 2 of you saying thats the way to go, I probably would of scoffed. That's what happens when you try to teach an old dog new tricks. Many thanks, Jim
The factory dropped the body on the drive train nothing new, the down side is the car is no longer a roller you will need some sort of casters under it but it makes cleaning and working on the suspension easier the steering box comes out with it.

A31PKG

Reaction score
You also need a cart to support the engine & trans... There are some equipment issues involved...If you lived closer, I'd let you use my gear.... Good luck!

mcmopar

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
mcmopar said:

Johnny-Boy, what kind of shade tree operation do you run over there??? Good lord. :lol:

Trim, get yourself a Lisle 23400 tranny plug kit. It'll run you about $8 - $14 at most parts stores. it will plug anything you want, including A833's and A727's. Leave the plastic bags to the Neanderthals driving blue ovals.... :D
Personally, I keep spare yokes around just for this purpose; just slide one in and zip-tie it on. But I also have the Lisle kit for those rare ocassions when all of my yokes are tied up.

As for the out the top versus out the bottom discussion - if you ever take one out the bottom and reinstall it that way you'll just want to throw rocks at the notion of ever doing it out the top again... :yesnod:

:jester:
ACME

I'm just a shade tree mechanic. Didn't know about these little items but will definitely grab some when it comes time to pull the 383/727 combo out of my '68 Polara, I'll be using that engine as the basis for my Pure Stock build.

Back