• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Removing shift ball on automatic

richardgoesfast

Reaction score
May have posted this before but in all the excitement lost track. I've got a new console body for my 70 and need to get shift ball off so I can remove the old console.

I'm a little hesitant to remove the shift ball cause I worry that I won't be able to get it back together. So, after I unscrew the allen screw do I unscrew the ball itself? And after that do I unscrew the button from the cable that is attached to it?

Or can I leave the button attached since the console will come off once ball is removed?

Is there a danger of the cable sliding down inside the shift lever and I won't be able to extract it?

Don't want to lose drivability because I screw something up. After all, it is summer time!

Any tips GREATLY appreciated!

droptop

Reaction score
Just loosen the allen set screw about 2 turns and then unscrew the ball. The button is spring loaded so be ready for it to pop out when you get to the end of the threads.

Back