• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Removing Shifter Lever

Dennis Putnam

Reaction score
I am just starting my restoration project on my 69 Roadrunner convertible and am at the point where I need to removed the 4-speed transmission. My problem is removing the Hurst shifter lever. According to my manual I should insert a .010 feeler gauge into the driver's side of the shifter to release a pin. However, that is not working and I've bent up my feeler gauge trying. There is a carriage bolt that seems to go through the shifter and I've removed that but it didn't help. How do I remove the shifter so I can get the tranny out? TIA.

mac

What ?
Reaction score
use the thickest feeler gauge you have. when you slide down the correct side it will release the handle. if it has bee a long time since it was removed, there may be some swearing involved.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Had to drive mine out from the bottom it was really in there. I soaked it with everything, and it would not just slip out. :BangHead:

quikbird

Reaction score
There is a drawing in the service manual on how to do this. Followed it and mine popped out. Can also detach shifter levers,( keep track of all little clips and bushings), unbolt shifter and just leave it laying over in car to remove tranny.

Dennis Putnam

Reaction score
I did remove the whole thing from the bottom just so I could get the tranny out. I still need to get the shifter out of the mechanism but at least I can work on a bench now. Thanks for the replies so that I know I am not alone with this problem.

MoparDan

Reaction score
I am just starting my restoration project on my 69 Roadrunner convertible and am at the point where I need to removed the 4-speed transmission. My problem is removing the Hurst shifter lever. According to my manual I should insert a .010 feeler gauge into the driver's side of the shifter to release a pin. However, that is not working and I've bent up my feeler gauge trying. There is a carriage bolt that seems to go through the shifter and I've removed that but it didn't help. How do I remove the shifter so I can get the tranny out? TIA.
I have tried time and time again to remove the shifter handle and have never succeeded. I just unbolt the whole shifter from the tranny. It's a lot less aggravation.

Terry Hauck

Choadicus
Reaction score
You don't have to take it off the shifter. It will pull right out from the bottom. You will have to remove the Hurst T Handle or ball. Just remove the rods and the two bolts that attach it to the trans and it will pull right out. To make sliding your trans out easier remove the aluminum mounting plate held on by three allen-drive bolts. It will allow your trans to move past the trans hump in the frame easier.

Last edited:
Back