Results of Porting Eddy Performer RPM Heads

JJRJR

Reaction score
Hey guys, thought I would post the intake side results of the porting job on my heads. Not sure if I'm happy with the results and if this guy's flow bench is right; the OOTB flow isn't as high as Eddy advertises.

Lift Per Eddy OOTB Pre-Port OOTB Ported CFM Gain

.2 143 139 145 6
.3 207 200 213 13
.4 256 241 248 7
.5 278 270 287 17
.6 291 283 309 26

He gave me numbers for .7 lift, but my cam won't get that much. OK, so here's what I get from this; let me know if I'm thinking correctly and if you guys think this was worth $600?? I'm using the Comp Cams XE275HL, which has an advertised lift of .525. I'm using 1.6 rockers, so if I did my math right, the lift should be about .560. SO....seems to me that if the flowbench shows a 17 CFM gain at .5 lift and a 26 CFM gain at .6 lift, should I expect that my highest lift gain will be somewhere between 17 and 26?

I was told a CFM gain equates to about 1.5 HP. If that's even close, I got about 25 HP or so for $600. What is most concerning is that it's clear that either Eddy advertises numbers that are flat out not right, OR this guy's flow bench is junk?

Well, in any event, it's done and at least it looks like I got some gain in my lift range.
What do you guys think?

Best,

John

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
John, I believe it was moparchris that had some numbers showing the advertised Eddy numbers were high, I'm sure he will add to this.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
John, I believe it was moparchris that had some numbers showing the advertised Eddy numbers were high, I'm sure he will add to this.

:yesnod:

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
Those are typical results. Just like advertied HP, pretty much any manufacturer has a ringer set aside that will produce the number. Production tolerances usually cut the numbers.

moparchris

Reaction score
JJRJR said:
Hey guys, thought I would post the intake side results of the porting job on my heads. Not sure if I'm happy with the results and if this guy's flow bench is right; the OOTB flow isn't as high as Eddy advertises.

Lift Per Eddy OOTB Pre-Port OOTB Ported CFM Gain

.2 143 139 145 6
.3 207 200 213 13
.4 256 241 248 7
.5 278 270 287 17
.6 291 283 309 26

He gave me numbers for .7 lift, but my cam won't get that much. OK, so here's what I get from this; let me know if I'm thinking correctly and if you guys think this was worth $600?? I'm using the Comp Cams XE275HL, which has an advertised lift of .525. I'm using 1.6 rockers, so if I did my math right, the lift should be about .560. SO....seems to me that if the flowbench shows a 17 CFM gain at .5 lift and a 26 CFM gain at .6 lift, should I expect that my highest lift gain will be somewhere between 17 and 26?

I was told a CFM gain equates to about 1.5 HP. If that's even close, I got about 25 HP or so for $600. What is most concerning is that it's clear that either Eddy advertises numbers that are flat out not right, OR this guy's flow bench is junk?

Well, in any event, it's done and at least it looks like I got some gain in my lift range.
What do you guys think?

Best,

John
I have had a set of Performer RPM Eddies for a small block on my (borrowed) bench. They advertise that they flow a max of 255cfm on the intake side OOTB. On my "honest" bench they flowed 220cfm. I called my insider at Edelbrock and was told that they exaggerate the correction factor their bench is set out and then hide behind the excuse that there is a 10% variance between flow benches. I have found that when using the right camshaft I get about 2 hp per cfm. I think thats because my bench is a little tight on the flow numbers. After extensive porting I got 250 cfm out of them and then I sent them out for a valve job and found another 15 cfm there. I am no means a pro porter and thats probably why I cant get the 300cfm some guys are claiming. Its just like the dyno numbers floating around. Anything can be manipulated to get whatever result you want. So, the original question is, was your $600 worth the 50 hp you will get? I would think so. Unfortunately there is few things that will give you that much power for the price. Well a turbo mybe, lol. Remember its the total package that will get the results not just one thing. That was why I warned you of the pitfalls in the other posts. Lets say for arguements sake that your 383 is 335 hp and an honest 9.5 to 1 compression.

335+ 40 (heads)+ 20 (cam)+ 15 (intake and carb)+ 15 (headers)= 425hp. Sounds impressive to me. I had a small block in my Swinger that made an honest 400 hp and it would smoke a set of 275 drag radials on the street at any speed less than 50, and it would run mid 11s at 115 all day long at 3440 pounds. Nothing would touch it on the street no matter how much someone paid for it. So it sounds like a recipe for a wicked 4 speed street car. :thumbsup:

Back