• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Roadcuda might like these.....

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
well I've crammed an 8x16 trainbord into our small basement. We only have a half, the other half is crawelspace. About the only other things down there are the furnance and water heater.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
Dave! :worship: :thumbsup: That's quite a layout you have there! Those Lionel layouts have a different charm to them. Almost toy like. The animation they put into their cars, moving freight from a dock into the cars with forklifts, cranes loading cars.... unbelievable! That's a lot of track in that size space, it makes it look real busy. It's fun seeing that pre-war stuff. That's where the real money is, especially when you have the original boxes. I'm sure you know those have to be kept safe! Without them the values will drop. That tender looks like an interesting scratch build. Those Vandys were among the better looking tenders out there. Next to UPs centipedes that is! Thanks for sharing! :thumbsup:

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Roadcuda said:
That tender looks like an interesting scratch build. Those Vandys were among the better looking tenders out there. Next to UPs centipedes that is! Thanks for sharing! :thumbsup:

Very nice, Dave! :thumbsup:

Okay, how 'bout some translations for us out of the loop? Tender? Vandys? UPs centipedes? Inquiring minds want to know...

:jester:

Roadcuda

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
Roadcuda said:
That tender looks like an interesting scratch build. Those Vandys were among the better looking tenders out there. Next to UPs centipedes that is! Thanks for sharing! :thumbsup:

Very nice, Dave! :thumbsup:

Okay, how 'bout some translations for us out of the loop? Tender? Vandys? UPs centipedes? Inquiring minds want to know...

:jester:
In the steam days of railroading the tender carried the water, and fuel to create the steam. Either wood, coal or oil. The most common design was the rectanglar tender. On the vanderbuilt the front end that held the fuel, was rectanglar, while the water was cylindrical. It rode on 2, either 4 or 6 wheel trucks. The centipede was used mostly by the Union Pacific on their Big boys, 4-8-8-4s, Challengers 4-6-6-4s, or Northerns, 4-8-4s. There were some other roads that used these but mostly were the ones that also bought the Challengers. These tenders had 5 fixed axels, with a steering truck of two axels, with a total of 14 wheels. This tender holds 25,000 gals of water, and 28 tons of coal, weighing in at 436,500lbs. The combined weight with the engine is just over 1 million lbs!

Roadcuda

Reaction score
Too bad you missed it John. That would have been a unique kit. I've never seen it before!

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
and the Vanderbilt Tender was designed and named after Comadore vanderbilt, the owner of the New York Central Railroad.

Blown R/T

Reaction score
Great pics. I have a long way to go! that layout is very nicely done. I agree llionel has a special presence about it.

Back