• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rust work advice

ALX69RR440

Reaction score
Hello All,

I’m taking my car to get rust work done on Monday. I’m going to ask that they also do the trunk floor. The initial bid was for the window corners and small patches on the doors and rockers. The trunk floor seemed to be ok but after I took everything out of the trunk and cleaned the “surface rust” there are small holes through-out. Unfortunately the holes, although small, are not localized so I’m thinking that a complete floor replacement is in order. My questions are:

What is the correct way of replacing the trunk floor? (Two halves or the full floor)

I purchased the full floor from AMD and as I understand it from looking at the work that Chris did on one of his projects, the lower tail panel needs to come out. Is this more expensive than installing the two halves?

Is installing the two halves a cheat or a less desirable way of doing it?

I’m not going to show the car. But I want to do it right the first time.

From your experience what should I expect to pay for this work?

Thank you!

69B5

Reaction score
Hi
My body guy replaced the trunk pan and extentions on my 70 R/T
He liked to use halves
For him he thought it was easier to get everything lined up
He did an excellent job and I find it hard for me to see the seam
I guess it all depends on the body man
I don't know the cost, my cost was not broke out from the rest of the quote
Good luck

moparchris

Reaction score
I have done it both ways and I have to say that the single piece is the way to fly even if you have to remove the tail panel to get it done. Kenny over at Mascar is very experienced at this and I am sure he has his preference. I would let him make that decision. If its just the center that is rusty i would just cut the center out of a one pice trunk floor and line up the side seams so that they are over the frame rail so its undetectable. BTW have you seen the new Car Craft? Thats Ken Maisano's (the owner of Mascar Paint and Body) 70 Boss 302 on the cover.

ALX69RR440

Reaction score
Thank you guys. Yes, initially It looked like the rust was just in the center but when I started to clean it some small holes appeared on the other side of the frame rails close to the extencions. I set a $10k budget to get the rust work and paint done. It looks like I'm going to have to get creative to satay on budget.

Yea Steve at Mascar was taking about that 302 when we were there last time. I'm going to buy it today.

Back