• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shift tube positioning shift housing

WWheeler

Reaction score
I am rebuilding the steering column on my '70 RR with floor shift and manual steering. The question is which countersink on the shift tube does the shift housing set screw go into? If I push the shift housing as far down as I can on the shift tube, the set screw hits as shown in the first attachment. Just below the first countersink and not anywhere near the second. In that position, the tube sticks up in the shift housing as shown in the second attachment. The housing actually binds on the taper of the shift tube and what limits anymore movement. I cannot go down any further.

If I then position the housing on the shift tube so that the set screw actually seats in the first countersink, the tube is the height as shown third attachment. The problem here is that you are supposed to bend the tube ears over and lock them on to the housing. Can't do that in the first countersink position as shown.

So what should I do? Seems like the best situation is to position the housing so that it nests in the first countersink. It isn't going anywhere with that. Just afraid that the tube won't be positioned correctly in the column.

Thank you for you help!

shift tube set screw seat.jpg

shift tube in shift housing - max extension.jpg

shift tube heigh at 1st set screw position.jpg

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
It has been so long since doing mine and don't have reference on this problem. I do remember finding a source on U tube where a guy was rebuilding the steering column. It was helpful. May be something in manual on the site. Hope someone else here has an answer for you. Looks like you're getting down to the nuts and bolts of the project. That upper cover is a pain for sure had a problem getting mine right. But after some frustrating time with it got it in place. Good luck. Russ. :thumbsup2:

WWheeler

Reaction score
Hey Russ! Yes, I am slowly making progress and life is slowing me down. Trying to get the components done first and then move on to assembling on the body. I have a friend who helps out but he has health issues at the moment. It will get done, just a matter of when.

Back