• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shifter Adapter

dobie

Reaction score
For the life of me I cant find an easy solution, so maybe it doesn't exist...I have a reproduction wood grain shifter knob with fine threads. My stick is a newer Hurst Competition Plus with coarse threads.... Is there any way to use the knob on this stick?? Ive been to all the auto stores, Lowe's, etc... I guess there is no such adapter.

Any ideas on how to make it work? Someone mentioned using a die and tap to change the threads, but I dont have anything like that available, and I doubt I want to spend the money just for this little project.

Thanks!

:cheers:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
got any Truck Stops around Wooster(Youngstown has several)? There are bunches of shifter knobs there, might be some adapters, or put a Pistol Grip in it! :drool:

dobie

Reaction score
Basketcase said:
got any Truck Stops around Wooster(Youngstown has several)? There are bunches of shifter knobs there, might be some adapters, or put a Pistol Grip in it! :drool:

There's one up in the Lodi area I can check at some point. Doesn't appear to be any easy fix though. I may just end up having to change the threads if possible.

dobie

Reaction score
4spd69RR said:
I have a spare shifter

Thanks for the offer! I don't want to take your shifter, especially just so I can switch knobs. That's very kind though!

:cheers:

abodybill

Senior Citizen Member
Reaction score
Steve,

Take and heil-coil the right threds in the ball.

If it's like mine it looks like a brass insert and you can't see it after it's on the lever.

just a thought?

dobie

Reaction score
You're correct. I just did a quick search and found that Advanced Auto's carry these.

I'm assuming that I need the 3/8-16 in repair kit correct? HEL5521-6??

Thanks!

Back