• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

side view mirror

mac

What ?
Reaction score
i bought a repop drivers side mirror for my 69 road runner a couple of years ago and there is a problem developing. the ball socket that the mirror moves on seems to be getting looser. if i hit a dip in the road or take off quick the mirror moves. has anyone had any success removing the glass and tightening up the pivot? if so what technique was used?

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Mac, the pivot has a strap of spring steel riveted over the ball for tension and you have to break the glass and thats 7 years of bad luck. I would get the mirror adjusted and try to inject something sticky or even super glue into it. I had mine rechromed and I'm waiting on date coded glass if you want a pic? I dont know if the repops are the same on the inside :cheers: And yes I have 6 years 10 months to go :lol:

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
I seem to remember reading that you can soak it in laquer thinner and you might be able to get the mirror out.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
It depends on the glue used in the aftermarket. The old original glass in my mirror had dried up to the point that a good second gear shift sent my original glass to the road. RestoRick is where I ordered the new glass and he suggests clear RTV unlike the hard brown stuff on my frame :wave:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
Mine is a remote style. I tried without sucess to tighten the loose glass, so I used silicone.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
Mac, the pivot has a strap of spring steel riveted over the ball for tension and you have to break the glass and thats 7 years of bad luck. I would get the mirror adjusted and try to inject something sticky or even super glue into it. I had mine rechromed and I'm waiting on date coded glass if you want a pic? I dont know if the repops are the same on the inside :cheers: And yes I have 6 years 10 months to go :lol:

6 years and 10 months of Basketcase tapping his toes waiting for a pic, eh... :lmao:

:jester:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
69hemibeep said:

6 years and 10 months of Basketcase tapping his toes waiting for a pic, eh... :lmao:

what'd I do? :huh:

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Basketcase said:
what'd I do? :huh:

I think my "Budweiser" comment in the "Went to a local cruise-in last night" thread provides the appropriate response to this one...

Back