• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Small nick on the crank

Confederate1969

Reaction score
Hi fellahs

I have had my 383 disassembled for over three years and just haven't had any money to deal with it. This year would have been the year as I got some good money back on my tax returns. Unfortunately, I had blown out a head gasket in my 01 Durango when my coolant system blew up a few months back and over heated the engine. I had to throw the money away on a top end rebuild for it. Damn thing runs better than it did before. But anyway, so now I still have no money but I have that itch to get back into planning mode with my old 383 block.

One of the things that happened while taking out the pistons was that a journal on the crank got a small nick. I don't recall hitting anything on it to cause that or doing that when I took the crank out. But nevertheless it is there. Is a tiny nick on a journal irreparable? Or can that be refinished?

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Small nicks can be polished out. Even if the nick is still there, the raised metal around the nick will be polished out.

dobie

Reaction score
Yep, I would agree too.

On a side note, welcome back! Glad to see you're still around.

Confederate1969

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Yea Im still around. I just keep waiting for the day I can invest in the car and get the show on the road. :)

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
glad you're back! and me new quarter skins are still hanging in the garage instead iof the car. and with one daughter graduating high school and a month later hwer sister finishing up her colage grad work...they'll probably be hanging there a while longer so don't feel alone!

Back