• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spark Plug question

JJRJR

Reaction score
Hey guys, at the risk of asking a stupid question, when replacing spark plugs am I just to buy a plug for a stock 383 motor? In other words, are the plugs indifferent to the work done on the engine? Eddy aluminum heads, etc.?

Finally, there is only about 220 miles on the car, but for most of that time the carb wasn't adjusted properly. Apparently raw fuel was being dumped into the engine because of the way the floats were, etc. I've had it adjusted now, but is seems to have a "bogging" feel at higher rpms. Is it possible the plugs got fouled with the carb before adjustment? Would plugs have gotten fouled that quickly? I'm happy to replace them, just wanted to be sure I'm on the right track. I'm hoping that is what is causing the bogging or surging feeling in the engine.

Thanks,

John

4spd69RR

Reaction score
The standard 383 plug should work unless you have a high energy system like MSD. Then you may look for a high end plug. Just check you plug gap to ensure proper gapping.

JJRJR

Reaction score
4spd69RR said:
The standard 383 plug should work unless you have a high energy system like MSD. Then you may look for a high end plug. Just check you plug gap to ensure proper gapping.

Thank you. Yes, I do have the MSD ignition. I think the builder used NGK plugs.

John

cj69RR

Reaction score
Pull the plugs and take a look at them. You can just clean them up and run them again and see what they look like before you start chasing things. And if they clean up the msd should clean them up running of the fuel issue is resolved.

Back