• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Speedo Cable Change

JJRJR

Reaction score
Guys, how hard is it to change a speedo cable? I'm going to try another one, she still bounces all over the place and reads high. I'm 99% sure it's got the white 37 tooth gear in her as it should. Just wondering if it's easy to replace the cable?

Thanks,

John.

Oh, and the guy reset the timing, said it wasn't quite right.

J

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
JJRJR said:
Guys, how hard is it to change a speedo cable? I'm going to try another one, she still bounces all over the place and reads high. I'm 99% sure it's got the white 37 tooth gear in her as it should. Just wondering if it's easy to replace the cable?

Thanks,

John.

Oh, and the guy reset the timing, said it wasn't quite right.

J
Very easy. It screws onto the tranny and might have a metal tab under the car to bend just above the tail pipe and a clip on the frame below the fire wall (most restorations leave these off) and plugs into the instrument panel. If you look at the new one its just a clip to lift to remove and stab the new one in. You might be able to do it by feel or crawl under the dash

JJRJR

Reaction score
Stuart, this one was greased up really well by Challenger Gary, not sure why it still bounces. Had the entire instument panel rebuilt, but I guess the speedo itself could be bad. Oh well.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
the speedo im my truck bounces on cold mornings for the first few miles, then it's fine.

challengergary

Reaction score
It's pretty easy to replace John. Bring it by and you and I can do it in less than 30 minutes (on the lift). But I am not sure if another new one will do the trick or not. Definitely need to get another gear in there since the speedo is so far off and who knows, maybe the gear is causing the bouncing.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
challengergary said:
It's pretty easy to replace John. Bring it by and you and I can do it in less than 30 minutes (on the lift). But I am not sure if another new one will do the trick or not. Definitely need to get another gear in there since the speedo is so far off and who knows, maybe the gear is causing the bouncing.
Put a drill on the tranny end of the cable and see if it still bounces

Back