• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steel wheel finish?

a6t9vette

Reaction score
Im looking to get my steel wheels powder coated before mounting up my new red lines. What is the correct finish (black) for them? Im assuming they were all the same finish regardless if they had wheel covers or uncovered like the A12, either way mine will be uncovered so Id like to match those of an A12. I belive there are only a few powder coat options, Gloss, Satin, and Flat.....

a6t9vette

Reaction score
Well I managed to anwser my own question. If they are black they would 30 Deg Gloss, or for a white car they would be Gloss Black....

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
a6t9vette said:
Well I managed to anwser my own question. If they are black they would 30 Deg Gloss, or for a white car they would be Gloss Black....

Just curious...where did you find anything that indicates 30 Deg Gloss?

a6t9vette

Reaction score
from the book "Charger, Road Runner, & Super Bee Restoration Guide", I have heard that there are some things that are incorrect it in, but that seemed to match what I saw elsewhere....

a6t9vette

Reaction score
So the more I read the more different info I find. I went back through all my old pictures from the A12 reunion in Carlisle in 2009, and it would appear that most are of the A12 cars wheels were Gloss. I'm not sure if its a case of wheels coming from various manufactures back in 69 and that resulted in various finishes. Im not even sure if there is a correct anwser. I have my wheels getting prepped for power coating as we speak and my options are Satin/Semi which is somewhere around 40 Deg Gloss, or Gloss (Flat is out). Im not building a A12 car or even a clone, but Id like to at least get them close to the finish they should have been.... Does anyone else have any light they can shed on this?

I went to the A12 forum to see if I could ask there, but it seems as if I cant register for the forum, and from searching there it seems more of the discussions we related to type of paint, Enamel, etc. rather then finish, but from looking at many pictures there still seems to be a large varity of sheen....

moparchris

Reaction score
Mine are gloss on my A12 Bee, it came that way to me. The ones I have seen are a semi gloss finish probably similar to what you found. I like the look of gloss so I left mine that way, they are powder coated as well.

A31PKG

Reaction score
Pretty sure that gloss black is correct for an A12? In addition, all of the black wheels I've seen that received full wheel covers were a semi gloss finish to some degree. However, If the car was black, and the dog-dish hubcaps were installed, then I'm also pretty sure the requisite black wheels had the same gloss as the body. The book you refer to has lots of good stuff in it, but you are correct that it also has a few errors. For instance, my car is Alpine White and came new (and is coded for on the BS) with white wheels!

I say powdercoat 'em gloss black! :thumbsup:

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
A31PKG said:
Pretty sure that gloss black is correct for an A12

That seems to be the consensus from most of the discussions over on the LOH Playground. Hence my original question. Most of the LOH Guys agree that they started out glossy but probably dulled down with the passage of time - which is why there is even a debate.

Back