• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steering box question

Roadcuda

Reaction score
I've been thinking about changing the power steering box in my car for a while now. While I know that running the polyglass tires will give me more play while driving, I've often felt that I have too much play in mine. I've had the front end checked, and was told that it was in mostly good shape only needing a lower ball joint, and an idler arm replaced, which I have done. I also had an alignment done. While it's better then it was, I still think it could be better. So since I most likely will be driving the car the 300 miles to Carlisle this year, I think I really need to something with the steering box. So, the question is, would I be better off with a regular rebuilt unit, or would should I spend the extra money and go for a Firmfeel, or other similar type of unit? Thanks!

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
Get the Firm Feel box. Choose the box you think sounds like you would want. They have a few different levels. You will be dollars ahead and won't be doing the work twice.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys! And thanks Stuie for mentioning those other guys. I knew there was another company out there but couldn't remember who they were.

abodybill

Senior Citizen Member
Reaction score
Tom from Steer&gear is the only person I have ever used for my steering box rebuilds.

Get top notch work from him and he races a Mopar to. :thumbsup:

a6t9vette

Reaction score
How about with Manual Steering. Does a rebuild or new box make as much of a difference?

abodybill

Senior Citizen Member
Reaction score
a6t9vette said:
How about with Manual Steering. Does a rebuild or new box make as much of a difference?

That's all my cars have is the armstrong box on them.

I just put a rebuilt in both my Runner and my Dart from Tom at Steer&Gear and the Dart is nice and tight and that's my track car. :thumbsup:

Roadcuda

Reaction score
Update. I got my new steering box from Steer And Gear today. With mailing in the order form I got it in just over a week! Quick question, when I reconnect the new box to the steering coupler do I need to lubricate it? I have a new kit for the coupler that gives you the option of installing a grease fitting and what type to use, but it doesn't really say what to do if you don't add a fitting. So do I add grease if I don't add the fitting and if so what kind of grease would I use? Thanks.

moparstuart

Reaction score
My box has been in the car for about 3 weeks now , drives great. No more slack in the steering and then not super touchy and i dont get over steer anymore . I love it drives like a new car .. I also upgraded to bigger torsion-bars and front and rear sway bars .

moparchris

Reaction score
Roadcuda said:
moparchris said:
I usually put grease inside since it moves when the chassis flexes as you drive.
Any special kind of grease Chris?
I use a light weight moly lube. It needs to be thin so it doesn't gummed up with crud later on down the road.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
moparchris said:
Roadcuda said:
moparchris said:
I usually put grease inside since it moves when the chassis flexes as you drive.
Any special kind of grease Chris?
I use a light weight moly lube. It needs to be thin so it doesn't gummed up with crud later on down the road.
Thanks Chris, that 's what I was lookin' for. :thumbsup:

zupanj

Reaction score
Not to highjack this post but I wondered about my manual steering box for a couple of years. I almost hate to drive the car the steering is so sloppy and it has about 1/8 turn play on both sides of the steering wheel. I should have replaced the box when I replaced the engine but I didn't believe a new box would make as much difference as you guys seem to indicate. I was toying with the idea a a new front end like Reilly's Alterkation kits but I really don't want to spend that much money. Would a new box make that much difference in a manual steering car? Installing a new box will be some work because I will have to remove a header and raise the engine at this point.

moparstuart

Reaction score
zupanj said:
Not to highjack this post but I wondered about my manual steering box for a couple of years. I almost hate to drive the car the steering is so sloppy and it has about 1/8 turn play on both sides of the steering wheel. I should have replaced the box when I replaced the engine but I didn't believe a new box would make as much difference as you guys seem to indicate. I was toying with the idea a a new front end like Reilly's Alterkation kits but I really don't want to spend that much money. Would a new box make that much difference in a manual steering car? Installing a new box will be some work because I will have to remove a header and raise the engine at this point.
you will not regret it and you will drive the car alot more

Roadcuda

Reaction score
moparstuart said:
zupanj said:

Stuies's right Jack. You won't regret swapping the box. I finished up doing the swap with a Steer and Gear power steering box in my car tonight took it for a ride. What a difference! I could feel it
had a stiffer feel as soon as I backed it out of my garage! I drives so much better now. I'm not chasing it down the road like I did before, just small movements of the wheel, more like a modern car. Based on a 5 mile test run I'm very pleased with the results and it was worth doing!

abodybill

Senior Citizen Member
Reaction score
Roadcuda said:
moparstuart said:
zupanj said:

Stuies's right Jack. You won't regret swapping the box. I finished up doing the swap with a Steer and Gear power steering box in my car tonight took it for a ride. What a difference! I could feel it
had a stiffer feel as soon as I backed it out of my garage! I drives so much better now. I'm not chasing it down the road like I did before, just small movements of the wheel, more like a modern car. Based on a 5 mile test run I'm very pleased with the results and it was worth doing!

Been having Tom at Steer&Gear do all my steering boxes for all my cars and even my trucks.

On the older stuff only Tom and his son do them and the turn around time is :thumbsup: .

Glad it worked out for you and another happy Mopar driver :D

Back