• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steering Box

Collin

Reaction score
Just rebuilt the whole steering box on the mopar. Its the same manual steering box that came with the car. After cleaning all of the much and grime off of it the color was natural metal. I see a lot of people paint this. Whats correct? Painted or natural... I know its personal preference but I am curious of how it came. I can post numbers and pics if anyone needs them!

Collin

Reaction score
I knew youd be the one to answer. I see so many pics showing things just painted black. Recently put the k frame and suspension back on the car and what a difference it makes having painted everything natural and doing the cosmoline look. Makes it look very clean and very sharp. Going to just throw a light clear coat on the steering box to keep it looking fresh.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Collin said:
I knew youd be the one to answer.

Well of course...he's on here all freakin' day...and he calls me blabber fingers... :lmao:

:jester:

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
Collin said:
Recently put the k frame and suspension back on the car and what a difference it makes having painted everything natural and doing the cosmoline look.

Collin, what did you use to obtain the cosmoline look? One of the paints that we all discussed some time ago?

Collin

Reaction score
haha more of a credit to his attention to detail than a shout out to his computer addiction, at least im at work. And snowed in here in CT 2nd time this season...AZ weather must be rough, hes typing away like jack nicholson in the shining. All work and no road runner makes spongebob a dull boy.

Collin

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
Collin said:
Recently put the k frame and suspension back on the car and what a difference it makes having painted everything natural and doing the cosmoline look.

Collin, what did you use to obtain the cosmoline look? One of the paints that we all discussed some time ago?

I didnt like the fact that the cosmoline had to be constantly re-applied. I painted the Lower control arms, sway bar, and everything else using a sliver spray can, I hated how fake it looked so I switched to Eastwoods Spray Gray, (used Brake Gray on master cylinder) and it came out looking exactly like fresh metal. I compared the bare master cylinder to some painted pieces and they were a dead on match i was impressed. I taped off the lower control arms and applied a gold spray paint (rustoleum rattle can) I tried to go heavy on portions to mimic the way the cosmoline might pool there. Came out great...perfect? Nope, But I dig it. When I get home I will take some pictures with the new gray applied

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
As the great basket case would say "What did I Do" I was gone all day and you still picked at my carcass :toetap:

moparchris

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
As the great basket case would say "What did I Do" I was gone all day and you still picked at my carcass :toetap:

We do our best work when no one is looking. :leave:

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
moparchris said:
69hemibeep said:

We do our best work when no one is looking. :leave:

Yep... :basketcase:

Roadcuda

Reaction score
Yep... :basketcase:[/quote]
You guys are annoying me, really :toetap:[/quote]

Stop joking around. We're just trying to get some answers. :basketcase:[/quote]
Gee, I wonder where those new phrases came from!!!!! :lmao:

Back