• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

steering column collar

V269

Reaction score
I'm changing the collar on my column to the floor shift one and was wondering what the trick is to getting the horn rim and padded part off the steering wheel before I do it. Don't want to damage anything. Does it just pop off or is there a nut holding it on under the plastic roadrunner button in the center ? How does the button come out as well ? I took apart another column to get the pieces I needed but was a different wheel. :huh:

mac

What ?
Reaction score
the plastic center piece will come out with a a little care. underneath you will find a nut that holds it together. if the pad is warm it will help to remove the center button.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
A small screw driver under the left side of the bird. The right side has a tab that goes in first and comes out last. Under that is a bolt for the pad. I have mine apart right now waiting on a turn signal switch from a different vendor, the one I put on broke in less than 200 miles.

V269

Reaction score
Thank's alot Mac and Bob. I'll give it a go when I get a free minute. Bob , I have a signal switch here off the column I just took apart if you want it I can bring it down on Saturday with me. It is a used original so maybe you want something new ? :cheers:

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
A small screw driver under the left side of the bird. The right side has a tab that goes in first and comes out last. Under that is a bolt for the pad. I have mine apart right now waiting on a turn signal switch from a different vendor, the one I put on broke in less than 200 miles.

Share some details please, Mr. HemiBeep. You'll save the rest of us yet to do that refurb some headache... Thanks!

:jester:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
69hemibeep said:

Share some details please, Mr. HemiBeep. You'll save the rest of us yet to do that refurb some headache... Thanks!

A local guy that goes by the name Mr.Mopar has these made with harness but no plug for 76 bucks. The plastic used on the cancel cams are junk, so I ordered one from Obsolete parts in Costa Mesa for just over 100 bucks. We shall see. Ken I'm hoping to get the part in time to go to the Pavillions Saturday night and meet you. Could you maybe post a pic of your switch?

V269

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
ACME A12 said:
69hemibeep said:

A local guy that goes by the name Mr.Mopar has these made with harness but no plug for 76 bucks. The plastic used on the cancel cams are junk, so I ordered one from Obsolete parts in Costa Mesa for just over 100 bucks. We shall see. Ken I'm hoping to get the part in time to go to the Pavillions Saturday night and meet you. Could you maybe post a pic of your switch?

I'll see if I can get a pic on here for you tomorrow ok Bob. I still have dial up here so it takes a little longer to do so. :brickwall:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Just an FYI the switch I got from Obsolete on E-Bay They go by ATLASPARTS Is a very nice piece, It fit better had the little roller for the horn ground and works great! :beep:

Back