• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steering Gear Box

Ranger

Reaction score
I'm new here, but not to forums (I'm a mod over at Cadillac forums). I know how you can get in trouble for resurrecting old threads so I won't. As you may know if you read my intro, I just purchased a '69 RR survivor car in great condition, but it needs a little TLC. Doing the front brakes, and replacing all 4 wheel cylinders. Next on the list is a leaky P/S gear box. I found a thread that pretty much answered my questions. FSM says drop the steering column, but it doesn't look necessary and 69hemibeep confirmed that. I see seal kits at Rockauto. Just wondering if anyone has done it before and just how far into it I have to go. I just want to stop teh leak, not rebuild it (not sure I have that expertise or "special tool"). Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I'm new here, but not to forums (I'm a mod over at Cadillac forums). I know how you can get in trouble for resurrecting old threads so I won't. As you may know if you read my intro, I just purchased a '69 RR survivor car in great condition, but it needs a little TLC. Doing the front brakes, and replacing all 4 wheel cylinders. Next on the list is a leaky P/S gear box. I found a thread that pretty much answered my questions. FSM says drop the steering column, but it doesn't look necessary and 69hemibeep confirmed that. I see seal kits at Rockauto. Just wondering if anyone has done it before and just how far into it I have to go. I just want to stop teh leak, not rebuild it (not sure I have that expertise or "special tool"). Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

It depends on the leak. If its on top the o rings are easy but if the leak is at the pitman arm or column the box needs to come out which requires the dropping of the column. If your not sure your community probably has a steering shop that is full service or take the box to them. You can exchange the box at a parts store if your not into originality.

Back