• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Still not on the road

jays69bird

Reaction score
Well I have made two 31/2 hour round trips plus the gas and I still don't have a good spindle.The first spindle i got when I broke the hub down was more chewed up than one on the car.We took apart the second one at the yard when I went up there,it was pitted but the bearings locked up when I put em on.I noticed the backing plate was the same with the exception of the slot for the wheel cylinder was square,where mine was oval.The spindle appeared to be the same,however when I mounted it on the car the upper ball joint I couldn't get the cotter pin in the hole as tight as I could get it,the spindle is about an 1/8 inch thicker there,I measured the part where the lower ball joint mounts,it is slightly thicker,even though the spindle part itself is the same these variations are enough to throw the front end geometry off,the fact that the upper joint you can't get in a pin easy is dangerous I think this might be a C body spindle.I'm not making a trip back to the salvage yard,I'll eat the 40 bucks,but the car still needs a spindle.I'll post in the wanted section,but if any one has a 69 left front 11" spindle laying around I'll be interested in it. I have had a ton of personal issues with my daughter out of state at the moment and I'm getting frustrated with this whole problem.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
shoot one of the guys at Carlisle a pm Jay, Ray,Roadcuda, wish I could help, all my spares went up in flames a few years ago....

jays69bird

Reaction score
I'll give it a shot thanks,I have a want ad on CL too,I really wish the salvage yards around here hadn't scrapped their older cars.

jays69bird

Reaction score
Basketcase said:
shoot one of the guys at Carlisle a pm Jay, Ray,Roadcuda, wish I could help, all my spares went up in flames a few years ago....
Naw Steve didn't have any,I measured the one off my car and the one I got from the junkyard,I'm seeing a difference of 1/8 inch where the lower ball joint connects and about an 1/8 thicker where the top one goes.I might take it to a machine shop and have them check the centerline and offset,if they match,they might be able to mill off the extra metal on the one so I could use it. There are a couple on ebag but you don't know what your getting.Steve suggested a couple of places to try also.

Back